What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 61 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced the "EXPLORER", "SPORT", and "EcoBoost" badges with a black ones today.

Shoot me an email

And I will reply with pics.

Last edited:

Sweet!!! PHOTOS!!! :p
Here you go Jon, its a new color for 2017, Lightning Blue. I am in love...

80-20170814_171310_c3e470e2643e004e070325f95f399cb3e79cd6db.jpg

80-20170814_155223_534458ad9d83b285e48d2a20ca5dd99ff3370265.jpg

80-20170814_161519_10abd18403ceed07128410ee25a6474b4ba551aa.jpg

80-20170814_150911_32c8ed721407dca4b523cdeaa8dfd2010f74c82c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I know this is an older thread but my ford dealership tells me adding factory nav is impossible and I found ODB Genie on eBay. I'm curious if anyone here has purchased it and installed themselves and would recommend it?

I've added it to my 13 Limited. Check out the forscan thread, it has a bunch of info on adding nav

Finally hooked up Feniex light bar to Switch Pro harness+buttons, including some Philips DRLs I had bought previously (bottom). Also wired up break light to a switch but to be always on by default if car is on.

Just DRL's + headlights (some day I'll look at seeing if I can get just DRLs to run without lowbeams on in some mode).
5wAzyzs.jpg

Feniex 600 WL off-road lights flipped on as well, at some point I might co-wire them to high beams
O8bmxqQ.jpg

Switch module. Haven't put stickers on it yet in case I decide to rewire something, and panels on left were off to check some fuses (thanks Ford for putting those in the dumbest place I've ever seen). I contemplated long and hard where to put the switches. In the end I decided a trim panel was a good choice as if I sell the car and take it with me, at least it's a panel that's fairly cheap to replace. I don't need visual access to it constantly so down by my right leg is perfect for me.
TPSe8Pe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey guys,

Recently I made a detailed review of a 2017 Explorer Platinum and just wanted to share it here incase you guys know anyone that could be helped or entertained by this.

I absolutely love the interior of the platinum but I'm looking forward to some upcoming mods on my '15 Sport at least :)

Thanks everyone

Thomas

Got my front passenger/driver windows tinted today with 35% ....looks good with the all black trim.

Now just gotta deal with the grey painted pocket wheels.

Last edited:

Fronts? As in headlights? Curious of how it looks. As well as light output. I know @jonnoriega has it done, just curious for a bit more input. Also...

.:pics:

Ya just the windows nothing on the lighting, the OEM darkening of light housing is enough for me. 35% light allowed through is about as dark as you can go around here without drawing the eye of a cop whose entire being in life is writing honest citizens traffic tickets.

It just makes such a big difference when A/C is trying to cool the interior during the hot months.

Ya just the windows nothing on the lighting, the OEM darkening of light housing is enough for me. 35% light allowed through is about as dark as you can go around here without drawing the eye of a cop whose entire being in life is writing honest citizens traffic tickets.

It just makes such a big difference when A/C is trying to cool the interior during the hot months.
Gotcha. I almost asked if you meant window or lights but just went with lights, haha. Still would be curious to see how it looks, although I'm fairly sure I'd get pulled over every 100 feet if I did that in Illinois. I'd love to swap out to sport headlights, but $750 a housing is a bit rich for my blood. Thought about trying to crack them open and do it myself, but again, that $750 price tag should I screw up is a bit too rich for my blood (when you add in the price of a divorce lawyer, I mean. :p )

On a separate issue not sure why I got a 'disagree' on my first post to you (not from you) regarding the possibility of tinted headlights. Maybe just the question itself? Who knows, haha. It's a question I had zero interest in prior to having the tint put on my tails. I figured the light output would be diminished too much and you like to be able to see in front of you. But after having the tails done and seeing how little of a difference the tint makes at night I am 'intrigued.' :)

I'm at 32k miles now so I went ahead and ordered the AEM drop in dry flow filter and replaced the stock filter Wednesday night. For $30 I would say its a very high quality drop in filter that wont need to be oiled.

No noticeable sound difference. Truck feels a little more responsive, but I am sure that is the placebo effect.

Drive 4 hours to NC this weekend so I'll be able to see if it actually helps with MPG. I doubt it will, but I still like it.

#nolongerstock

haha

One trick I was told if you get pulled over and the officer is standing to look at your driver's window then roll the passenger front window down. It allows more light inside the vehicle and apparently affects the appearance of the driver window tint and may save you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the Traxda lift, along with 17" wheels and Geolander 265/70

What AWD mode did you have that in?.....front wheels shouldn't be spinning like that.

Back