What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was over the last few weeks. But changed out all the interior lighting, license plate, and high beams with LEDs. Debadged the rear hatch. 30% ceramic tint on the front windows. Smoked reflectors on rear bumper. Did some changes with Forscan. So far, so good. Even though it's the slowest car in the stable, it gets the job done. Trying to figure out if I powdercoat the tailpipes when I take the stock wheels in to get them powdercoated gloss black.

38247161966_fa4d547613_c.jpg

Black with white lettering would looks so much better. Even the ones with colored lettering look awful.

Everyone has their opinion... you can read my opinion on opinions in my signature below.

When it comes to the ovals I think the explorer front end would look better with out any ovals, but that's another opinion so it doesn't count

IMG_0844.jpg

Wired my dashcam today. I know people opt for the Moonroof wires for a 12V switched source, but I found fiddling around near the roof a pain and decided to tap the wires on the driver side A-pillar harness connector that's right behind the cover. I've included a picture if someone else is looking for either a 12V switched or a 12V always hot (like the cigarette plugs), on the 2012 these are the ones I found. There's more than one 12V always hot in that harness, but I only saw 1 that was 12V switched.

f3ORSzN.jpg

For the ground I just used the bolt behind the cover by the door, as there's already a factory ground wire there, and in my case, a few others :)

UG9Lqc8.jpg

For USB harness I used this, which comes with really long wires for the USB part, and plenty long for the rest. Works great.

This may be a deal maker for me. I don't have a sunroof on my '13 XLT but want to install a cam close to the mirror. I didn't want to try to route the power cord all around the windshield to a power source behind / below the dash. Your tutorial has renewed my interest in doing this. Thanks.

Out for 3 Days and my ride needs a new battery. The original one lasted a year and 10 months. That’s almost too soon isn’t it?
7EC7900A-FF92-400F-80EE-4B78D59B4B9C.jpeg

Out for 3 Days and my ride needs a new battery. The original one lasted a year and 10 months. That’s almost too soon isn’t it?
Your warranty should take care of that.

46,500 miles already. Warranty was for 36K miles.

:(

My battery died at 8,000 miles--came out Super Bowl sunday to a vehicle that couldn't even light a dome light. Battery was tested for two hours, the tester wouldn't fail it, before the service advisor did me a solid and said, "I know this is going to fail, I'm just going to write you up a battery."

I'm wondering how long this one will last that's in it now.

Separately, as far as what I did to mine, last week I got it undercoated and detailed. Lasted a few days before the rains came again. Today I discovered that one of my tail lamps is beginning to fail -- LED swap. Oh well, those were quite cheap and I have literally 5-6 more bulbs that size that I never used. I will have to do the swap this weekend.

Also crossed over 33k this week, having to put nearly 80 miles on the thing alone today. Car was running on fumes when I got to the gas pump. Say what you want about the 2.3L EcoBoost, but you know what? 400 miles per tank, easy, is quite nice. No matter what I do to this car, by the time I refill, it's always hovering somewhere between 24-25 MPG. I'll take that for this vehicle's girth.

Installed new 3-light type fog lights that do DRL (ring), fog (yellow half), daylight (other half in white). Safe to say, I'm done with the front lights :-D (I can control all of them from a switch panel, including logo).

cADX4bF.jpg

Closeup:
PGDhINd.jpg
Rainlord- Did you buy your DRLs from Dan at DriveBright(DaytimeBrightlites)?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my Tunes from Livernois on Friday and installed the 3 Bar and Tune Saturday morning prior to dropping the truck off at Mr. Tire for some new rubber. Put on Michelin Premier LTX 265/50/20.

Haven't had too much time to play with it yet, but I absolutely love the tune. Besides the obvious performance increase, I feel like the transmission finally shifts like its supposed to. In stock form I found the shifting sloppy and all over the place. I installed the 93 performance soft shift tune.

The Michelin Premier LTX's are significantly smoother than the stock Hankooks and are unbelievably quiet. The difference is amazing.

Back