What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 104 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Does anyone here have an 2013+ explorer sport and live near Phoenix, AZ???
I need a truck for about a day to check clearances for a set of Hot Pipes to be made.
I am willing to throw some money your way for the inconvenience...
Email me at "bigmoney1mil@aol.com"
Thx...

I have a 2018 Platinum and moving to Surprise on August 1st if you still need to see one then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2018 Platinum and moving to Surprise on August 1st if you still need to see one then.

Man, that post was 6 years ago, lol....the hot pipes are already an existing product for purchase...

Installed GPE ported throttle body! 73mm entry, no throttle shaft on the front side of blade- Ported Throttle Body - BBK Dodge Ram Chevy Ford Custom

s-l1600.jpg

Installed GPE ported throttle body! 73mm entry, no throttle shaft on the front side of blade- Ported Throttle Body - BBK Dodge Ram Chevy Ford Custom

View attachment 318661
Hmmm, intrigued...details please, lol...how did you get it to match the flange of the intake manifold, which is 68mm? If you port the manifold, you lose the o-ring seal landing...did you change to a flat gasket to seal it up? I have the BBK 70mm installed (see my install thread on that one) and even porting the IM to match that one is proving problematic...unless we change to a different style gasket...or....machine a larger landing for a larger diameter oring seal.

Hmmm, intrigued...details please, lol...how did you get it to match the flange of the intake manifold, which is 68mm? If you port the manifold, you lose the o-ring seal landing...did you change to a flat gasket to seal it up? I have the BBK 70mm installed (see my install thread on that one) and even porting the IM to match that one is proving problematic...unless we change to a different style gasket...or....machine a larger landing for a larger diameter oring seal.
The outlet matches the stock intake opening.

The following is from Giggs Performance:
The outlet of the TB is the same as stock so it will match up fine with the intake entry and without sealing or mis-match issues. A detailed explanation of the work performed on the TB is as follows:

The entry is ported to 73mm in a venturi style (tapered) which is designed to take advantage of the shaft removal in front of the throttle blade. The stock throttle blade is retained and the most aggressive port work is performed in front of the blade, the rear is mildly ported internally with a stock outlet size to avoid custom tuning and/or idle surging. This results in performance equal to installing a 4mm larger blade without having to do so, and also keeps the cost of the part down by requiring less machine work.

You can expect to gain 11-15 RWHP with a corresponding increase in torque, in addition to better all-around throttle response.

Ah, I see...so it's tapered down to 68mm, with a stock 68mm TB plate. Nah....I'm good. I'll stick with my BBK 70mm (with a 70mm TB plate). It isn't tapered, but some light sanding makes the 1mm lip on each side of the manifold port more smooth. I'm sure the GPE will work well too though as it will increase velocity with the taper, and that's a plus too.

Replaced my 10ga wire to 4ga wire and tidy up the kicker key 180.4 install. I am planning to add kicker key 500.1 (2 channel amp) and a sub to replace the current power sub under the seat.
20200712_110900.jpg
20200712_110633.jpg

Rear brake rotors were mighty thin-
I installed Power Stop Z36 rotors and pads on all 4 corners.

My Expo is in the body shop for some insurance work, I figured I would install my light bar behind the bumper cover while they had it off.
Unfortunately my brand new titanium drill bit couldn't get through the bumper. I'll get a new bit and go back after work, and hopefully they don't have it assembled yet.

eeDvxfyh.jpg

Guys, I did a thing.. After a couple years of searching, I cannot for the life of me find anyone who has done this. I am sure now that I am posting it, they will show up! I purchased the Amerihood S-Type functional air scoop hood, and I am obsessed with it. I still need to get it painted but most shops are still a bit high on the quotes due to lack of work.. However, the fit is great, quality is great the look is even better.

Looks amazing! I've been searching for a hood for my 2016. I got excited after seeing your post then realized it don't make it for 2016+

Fresh from the body shop, insurance work. Not pictured, but they also replaced my loose passenger side A pillar trim! It wasn't even damaged it the accident, but they had to take it off to remove the fender.

hUxbLIQh.jpg

Finally installed the LED light I bought over a year ago on my rear hatch and wired it to the truck light in the headliner.
I even climbed inside the trunk and shut the door to meter the wires feeding the 3rd row light and still missed the door light wire, so it only comes on with the switch. I'll get in there and try again later.
LiygRTKh.jpg

Installed Southside
machine engine/torque mounts this morning. It’s been 14 years since the last time I installed their gear. A bit
More NVH at idle of 600 rpm.
Bumped it up to 800. Will report back after some spirited driving.

After a day of driving- starting in the mountains of eastern NC:

Yes, There is a little bit more NVH. Most noticeable if you are at a speed and gear that you are cruising at 1500RPM. Any other time it is just a very small increase over stock. Granted- mounts are brand new.
The improvements tho are totally worth it! No more wheel hop on the 1-2 shift on dry pavement. And while that was the point of installing these- the handling improvement in the front end is remarkable. Turn in is sharper and steering correction needed after left-right or right-left direction change was reduced substantially. The mountain roads were a lot more fun! Looking forward to Steeda rear sway bar and control arms.

Highway driving on the flat was fine. A bit more steering feel but NVH was not noticeably increased.

So- If ultimate comfort is your bag, get some fresh stock mounts. If you enjoy spirited driving, then aftermarket mounts are highly recommended!

Redline Hood struts- release the safety latch and watch the hood raise!

170 Tstat and Gearhead Automatic Octane tune.
Yeah, it's faster...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sync 3 APIM swap and 3.4 version firmware upgrade. Newer maps plus AA compatibility.

Back