What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 115 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Larger photo of the liftgate lighting

IMG-7847.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 159813 View attachment 159811 I just got back from Texas to find this pair of Steering Wheel shifter extensions in blk waiting for me. It was a 5 1/2 week wait. They are aluminum and come in 4 colors(blk,red,blue&grey). They are sold on eBay by global_drive. Thanks to jonnoriega for finding them and posting the pics and info. The second thing I did for my X is a 2018 Stanley Cup Champs magnet. CAPS!!! (Finally!!!)
I ordered 2 different sets that were supposed to fit my 2017 XLT and they were off on setup. UGH!

Replaced the PTU on the 2014 Sport. Miserable at times but it’s done thankfully

I converted the hybrid analog/digital instrument panel cluster to a full-LCD instrument panel cluster with a custom bezel, firmware, and graphics.
img-8334-jpg.jpg

img-8339-jpg.jpg

Paint brake calipers red

I’ve added masts and sails to improve my X’s gas milage and add some more torque. Also changed the odometer to nautical miles and changed the mph into knots.

B5ECD005-764D-42A0-BBF9-66AE2961C29C.jpeg

I have been preoccupied and haven’t gotten around to posting this until now. I would like to get the BBK 73mm throttle body but until I have the time to port the intake TB flange and decide what to do about the o-ring it will have to wait. In the meantime I saw Fasterdamit!’s post about the GPE Venturi style ported throttle body and was curious. It made sense to me so I decided to give it a try. The Venturi style porting causes an increase in velocity which is good thing. I am happy this with GPE TB, it does what GPE states. When I do finally go with the BBK TB, I may try the Venturi style porting on it.

1333440F-D432-4D64-9715-8B7F0D57EEB0.jpeg 23F1F828-917E-4AAC-9FA5-14EFEDC6F48B.png 8D754EFF-752B-4EE7-952B-50FE6702F732.jpeg E43FD687-B9D0-40B0-81A5-072C2E1A1F08.jpeg

The side by side photo in my previous post is an visual comparison between the GPE and the OEM TBs. I have found a good use for the OEM tb, gotta repurpose stuff you know!

A4984329-31FF-47B8-B2FF-969ABC253987.jpeg

Pointless....the intake manifold opening is only 68mm. Port it out you say? No go, because the oring gasket is maybe 1mm from that 68mm edge. You MIGHT get another. 5mm from porting it out.

The GPE TB is also not a true 73mm as it tapers inward, with the math makes it similar to the 70mm BBK in volume of air it will flow (not 73mm, there is no 73mm BBK that fits).

FYI stock TB is 65mm. I did a writeup on my website that might give you some insight.

I do like your repurposed TB though. Nice touch.

20200903_161949.jpg

Not today but last weekend I did a couple things. The first was install some hood struts so I don't have the prop rod in the way. The other was the side steps/running boards. I know lots of people on here don't like them but if you have a vertically challenged wife, they are a necessity. It was a challenge for her to get in the driver's side without grabbing on to the steering wheel and pulling herself up. Now it's an easy step up.

The struts were and easy install. Took about 5 minutes total.

The side steps on the other hand were kind of a PITA. I got ones with three supports instead of two. They are much more rigid when stepped on. The outer supports were easy. Most of the mounting holes are already there. Only one hole needed to be drilled through the pinch weld. It was the center support hole that was the problem. The outer hole locations were not welded together. The center one was. Drilling through three layers of metal that has been spot welded together is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Took forever and broke a few drill bits along the way but it's done and looks really nice.

Hood struts close up.jpg Hood struts.jpg Running boards close up.jpg Running boards.jpg

Not today but last weekend I did a couple things. The first was install some hood struts so I don't have the prop rod in the way. The other was the side steps/running boards. I know lots of people on here don't like them but if you have a vertically challenged wife, they are a necessity. It was a challenge for her to get in the driver's side without grabbing on to the steering wheel and pulling herself up. Now it's an easy step up.

The struts were and easy install. Took about 5 minutes total.

The side steps on the other hand were kind of a PITA. I got ones with three supports instead of two. They are much more rigid when stepped on. The outer supports were easy. Most of the mounting holes are already there. Only one hole needed to be drilled through the pinch weld. It was the center support hole that was the problem. The outer hole locations were not welded together. The center one was. Drilling through three layers of metal that has been spot welded together is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Took forever and broke a few drill bits along the way but it's done and looks really nice.

View attachment 428636 View attachment 428637 View attachment 428638 View attachment 428639
Please, more info on the Hood Struts, I would love to ditch my Hood prop rod.

I saw them on the Steeda website. They have two models. I got the "better" ones. Steeda was out of stock so I went to the source. Redline Tuning. They are for all 2011 thru 2019 Explorers. Two bolts on the strut towers are used and a pre-existing hole in the hood behind the liner. Just pop a hole where needed and tighten. Easy peasy.

Link to the struts

I saw them on the Steeda website. They have two models. I got the "better" ones. Steeda was out of stock so I went to the source. Redline Tuning. They are for all 2011 thru 2019 Explorers. Two bolts on the strut towers are used and a pre-existing hole in the hood behind the liner. Just pop a hole where needed and tighten. Easy peasy.

Link to the struts
Thank you

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back