• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

What did you do to your Ex/Mounty/RBV today?

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Replaced a leaking heater hose today. During the process I found my fan blade to be cracked badly.
Guess that's next on the replacement list.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

hlg99

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Mounty Premier
Got started on my brake project today. New pads, rotors and calipers both sides in the rear. Ebrake hardware actually looked good and I replaced it on the right hand side just because, well never again because those spring clips are a double dirty word. I cheated and left it be on the drivers side.
Gave the mityvac hand pump a work out bleeding them and introduced my daughter to two person bleeding just to be double sure the calipers where bled.
Not as young as I used to be, I'm going to tackle the front brakes later this weekend.

hlg99

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Mounty Premier
rkdfmh.jpg

Here's my before and after
do7uvm.jpg

hlg99

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Mounty Premier
And it's done, front pads where down to maybe 1/8" got some more quality time with my daughter, she was actually interested enough to hang around asking some sensible questions.
1zwm3x4.jpg

Left my phone in my pocket so my daughter spent some time sorting it out while I was working. both sides shown.
2hfpbh1.jpg

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Changed my cooling fan blade today.

Also did an oil change.

all set for vacation trip. :)

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Well yesterday I met a guy who was selling a used ScanGaugeII. He shows me how it worked and I gave him $80 for it. We started talkin and eventually he mentioned his trucks audio system. I said I liked my factory unit but wished the display worked. He said he had a unit that worked and should for. We checked and it was identical to mine. We installed it and he charged me. 20 bucks for the stereo so long as I let him keep my old one. So for $100 I got a scangauge and a working display on my stereo. Great day!

20170420_105858.jpg

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
just returned from a San Diego, Oceanside, SD Wild Animal Park vacation trip.
Total of 800 miles round trip without a single issue.

aaron81006

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
WTF? :eek:

Somebody call Joe a DR. STAT!

I managed to install new speakers and grease the window tracs after work today. :)

Greased the window tracks, Gman? Can you do that? Doesn't grease get all over the glass? My back windows are choppy going down. Does grease fix that?
Thanks

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Greased the window tracks, Gman? Can you do that? Doesn't grease get all over the glass? My back windows are choppy going down. Does grease fix that?
Thanks

White Lithium grease in a spray can inside the tracks. The sliders touch the tracks, not the glass, so it stays clean.

aaron81006

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
Ah.. I always thought it way the felt part that I can see that way sticking but the internal track makes more sence. Thanks

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
One of my Philips XtremePower bulbs died, so I replaced it with one of the old ones I had from when I swapped headlights. Unsure if I'll try the newer Philips XtremeVision, or just snag another set of XtremePower off eBay for $12.60 or $16.91...

96Green

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
Took the headliner out:
97O3dfjh.jpg

Made it BLAAAAAACK:
PWcUm5Hh.jpg

Put it back in:
bvUfAUDh.jpg

IIGood

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer; 03 Mustang
Yesterday I had the tires rotated and balanced and found out it needs a full brake job all around...calipers, pads, rotors. 191K miles on the clock.

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Let's see...Sat. I did the waterpump. Sun. I replaced the belt tensioner. Today, Tues., I replaced the alternator.....

IIGood

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer; 03 Mustang
Yesterday I had the tires rotated and balanced and found out it needs a full brake job all around...calipers, pads, rotors. 191K miles on the clock.

I had this completed earlier this week and while the shop had it, I also had them fix the vent mode issue. While they did a bit of a "rig" job rather than the more expensive appropriate fix, it gets the job done for a fraction of the price and I have good, full air blowing out whichever vents I set it to again.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Noticed my rear driver tire looked low. It was ten pounds low at most. While inflating it back up, I noticed a nice rusty nail a couple inches up the sidewall from the tread. Not repairable.

I never had my $23.99 Fusion SUV tire mounted for my spare, so I had that done, and put it on.

Now gotta figure out if I want to buy a single Kumho AT51...
or a new set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 for $409.96 minus $145 in rebates...
or get another new set of Firestone Destination LE2 for $451.53 (mounted & balanced) minus $60 in rebates...
or get a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S for $532 minus $100 in rebates...
or...

aaron81006

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
Installed a set of 2" blocks on the front coil springs. Now she sits nice and level.

Did have to grind a little to get the blocks to seat into the springs. Pretty easy job. Didn't even need the bolt extenders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Installed a fresh Driveshaft, new spicer U-Joints and balanced, into the Eddie Bauer. Still had the vibration. rotated it 90* then 180*, then 270*. As I was testing it again for vibration the third time the light finally went on.... it might be the front driveshaft.
I pulled the front driveshaft just to test for vibration. As I'm pulling it one of the caps came off spilling little roller bearings everywhere. So, vibration or not, its gonna need a new U-joint. I hit I-10 and took it up to 80. It was almost as smooth as the wifes Mercedes. If I hadn't had All terrain tires it probably would have been! Houston...We've found the problem. I took the driveshaft to Arizona Driveshaft (yes, thats a plug). They should have it done today and I'll be vibration free!
If ya live in the Phoenix area, and need driveline work done... Check them out. They've been very courteous, very helpful, and they do great work.