What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

GreenMountain4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Canada, AKA the NEK of VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EB Explorer, 1973 T2
Let's hear what you accomplished today!

I'll start!

Balmy high of 20 today, so I figured I would take advantage of it and try to get my heater working.

Drained coolant -> looks like a new radiator/heatercore/hoses is in my future
Replaced t-stat
Replaced serpentine belt, tensioner and idle pulley
Removed smashed headlight bucket/bezel
Removed broken door card
Repaired drivers window bushings
Replaced drivers door pins -> scratched some paint :thumbdwn:

New car that my grandfather gifted me; this forum has been a great help while I wait on my service manuals to show up.

So...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't do anything but I did eyeball a similar vintage Ranger, looking for spare parts.

Today I removed my old, self, put together exhaust, and tomorrow, I'm going to put my new Gibson cat-back on. I plan to make a little video of the before and after.

I liked the overall sound of my other one, but it wasn't complete and it droned very, very bad. Which is annoying. So I figured I'd give the Gibson a go.

EDIT: Just installed the Gibson after I posted. I decided "##### it, I'll just get it over with".
It got rid of the "V8 sound" I had before, but it does have a more healthy, quality sound to it. I like it.

There is a thread like this in "Exploring everything under the sun", but I like the idea of one for each specific gen.

Today I bought some new NKG copper spark plugs. A while ago I bought the DUI coil and new plug wires. Just been waiting for a good day to work on my Roller. Been also adding some more auxiliary lighting to my X been working on that for the past month.

Put on both new radiator hoses, new radiator, new radiator cap, flushed heater core and coolant overflow (stopleak mess) all new coolant, took slack out of throttle cable, washed her then drove her.

should be measuring for new radius arm crossmember and tube for the arms but its just too cold.. and my garage isnt heated lol

instead I've been looking up prices and parts to build my own slide out drawers to haul gear in the back. Need to keep everything packed tight for those 'just in case i roll' moments.

I cleaned all the leaves out of the a/c blower housing and where the resistor is. Got a wiff of smoke the other day, and decided it was time.

should be measuring for new radius arm crossmember and tube for the arms but its just too cold.. and my garage isnt heated lol

instead I've been looking up prices and parts to build my own slide out drawers to haul gear in the back. Need to keep everything packed tight for those 'just in case i roll' moments.

I was hoping to read that you put on new mirrors but I see their still on a truck in Bridgeport. Weather must really be crappy there.
All I managed to get done today was recover the console lid for my '00. Found a decent set of headlights in my parts pile. Just as I was getting ready to put them in I got called to work to fix a blown out sump pump line in a 36" high crawlspace. Oh well there's always next weekend.

Mocked up some old school spotlights I picked up for dirt cheap:

I left the lights on last night and came out to completely dead battery on the explorer today. I decided to ride the motorcycle to work instead..

~Mark

used the welder for the first time, put some tabs on the bumper for lights, realized my drag link is bent to the point its bowed in towards the pumpkin, removed the sway bar mounts from the axle.. had the shocks bolted to them and the LH side ripped apart.

I started install on my fender flares.

Did a bunch stuff today. Put new brake pads up front. Adjusted my Toe a little to get my steering wheel straight. Adjusted my camber on the driver side. Had to replace a toggle switch to a higher amp one. I burned up one when I switched to a higher Watt LED driving light. Switched out my OEM rims to new Cragar V5 15x8 a bought a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• DSCN3317.jpg
    DSCN3317.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 900

Had to replace a toggle switch to a higher amp one. I burned up one when I switched to a higher Watt LED driving light.

You shouldn't be running your power through the switch. Use a relay for less voltage drop and less cable run. Plus, you can pretty much use any kind of switch you want.

I ordered new shocks for my Ex, front & rear KYB Gas-A-Just. Fronts are currently Carquest (Gabriel) Bruiser XD, at least 8-10 years old, mileage unknown. They were ridden hard enough to break the bottom stud at some point. Rear shocks are factory originals, passenger rear is coated in oil.

You shouldn't be running your power through the switch. Use a relay for less voltage drop and less cable run. Plus, you can pretty much use any kind of switch you want.

True. But then I need a higher amp relay and they cost more then a higher amp switch..

True. But then I need a higher amp relay and they cost more then a higher amp switch..

How many amps are you running? The regular relays that can be easily found have a normally closed amp rating of 40. You can use 1 per light too. If you're running more than 40 amps, you'd need seriously thick wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back