• Register Today It's free!

what dimensions on a muffler??

dossler2002

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 2WD 4.0 V6 4dr
I am looking at getting a non-delta 40 series flowmaster muffler. I want dual exhaust also. So I need to know what size INLET/OUTLET i need as well as. Single IN/Dual Out or Dual In/Dual Out. I"m not sure what is under my X right now. Also what size tips would be best and where to exit them at.

also, angled or flat tips??

tanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as the muffler goes you want a 2.25" single in, 2.25" dual out. The size and style of tips is more of a personal preference.

i am not sure on this but i heard flowmaster has discontinued the 40 non delta... they are collectors items now...and i dont know if they ever came with dual in or single in dual out......

Or you can get 2 single in/single out mufflers and have a "true" dual exhaust. Thats what I did anyway. I have 3 1/2" slant chrome tips. I have a pic link in my sig with some pics.

its an SOHC
and i'm pretty sure i only have one CAT so wouldn't it have to be single in/dual out??

SOHC is Dual In Single Out when in its stock form

well thanks a bunch guys you helped tremendously
do any of ya'll know where i can find a non-delta 40 series for my X????

You need to try the Dynomax Race Magnum muffler. I have one on my X and I love it. I've also always run Dynomax on my drag cars because they have a higher dyno rating than Flowmasters. Plus the Dynomax Race Magnum is a dual in/single out.

FYI - The more you open your exhaust the more horsepower you will get but you will also lose a little torque.

mstngguy-can you give some more info on that mufffler? price and where to order? thanks

The muffler is a part # 17228 and it runs around $220. I'm not sure where you can order it. I had a friend at McDonald Muffler get mine and put it on.

Isn't torque defiend as horsepower over time?

How can you gain horsepower but lose torque?

I say it's not possible.

You can definetely lose torque but gain horsepower or vice-versa. If you lose too much backpressure on your exhaust you will lose low end torque but gain some horses at the top.

Back