What do I need to put a 98+ Rear Door on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do I need to put a 98+ Rear Door on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I remember all you'd need is the door and tail lights. I think it is supposed to bolt right on. Anyone else wanna back this up?

I believe the taillights and hatch have different contours with the rear panels of the truck. You can make it work, but it will take work. Dunno how different they are, but I do remember when I looked at doing the same thing (due to accident), it was cost prohibitive.

figured, just testing the water

It's been done.

Try to search under the member name Ron Cruz.

You'll want to upgrade the tail lights and bumper (in addition to the gate). It is ideal to upgrade the bumper because it will follow the contour of the new door and look better. Downside is the the 98+ rear bumpers are weaker than the 91-97 style (If you see a 98+ X that's been rear ended, the bumper is usually flipped down. With other model years (91-97), damaging a bumper is usually a difficult task to accomplish).

no boundaries.... thank you very much, ill do that later

Back