What do you guys think about this Thermostat Housing unit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you guys think about this Thermostat Housing unit?

New2fixing

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok so I just got home from my local AutoZone having spent $75 for a thermostat housing unit. I open up the box and the bolts have rust all over them and there's a gap between the housing and the housing cover. I'm not sure but is it supposed to look like this? My flashlight shines right through it. I would guess the cover is supposed to sit flush. Is it?
Thanks in advance!

20200113_131336.jpg

20200113_125932.jpg

20200113_131224.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket Dorman or Duralast from AutoZone? If you can buy some time use the Austekk or Simmons aluminum housing. In most cases ALL plastic aftermarket replacements have a very high failure rate in very short time. Save yourself time and money and buy a metal replacement. One of MANY lower t-stat housing threads linked below. Good luck.

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

EDIT- Oops! Donald beat me by ONE minute. LOL

Aftermarket Dorman or Duralast from AutoZone? If you can buy some time use the Austekk or Simmons aluminum housing. In most cases ALL plastic aftermarket replacements have a very high failure rate in very short time. Save yourself time and money and buy a metal replacement. One of MANY lower t-stat housing threads linked below. Good luck.

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison
Lol I got there first we're both on our game lol

Thanks guys! It's a Duralast. I'm hoping to get a more reliable car soon (so many issues popping up with my truck) so that's why I went with the plastic one.

An update. an awesome SE Michigan district manager named Mark got me a replacement part sent to me.

Swshawaii. I made this post to ask about the condition of the housing unit. Isn't that the purpose of the forum, at ask questions and share information?

Yes that "gap" is normal but it's STILL a POS.

Forums are generally very useful but I don't understand why you bought that after the advice you were given from your previous thread. Even if if it was FREE chances are it would likely still need replacing in a very short time. 'Nuff said, I'm done.

That's not your concern and I don't appreciate your negativity.

My last plastic one lasted 1 week that's why we are so adamant on a metal one
But to each their own
Personally I'd shoot the plastic one :D
Good luck :burnout:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I really do appreciate everyone's help. Have an awesome day!

Back