What do you know about palm pilots? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

What do you know about palm pilots?

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
My wife wants one for her birthday.

I don't know that much about them.

She wants one for phone #'s, addresses, work schedule, contacts, bill paying schedule, etc.

But, I saw in Target that they make software for these things that have road maps in them. So I thought that if I get one, I should get one that can do the road map thing too.

I've done some research and seen them with 16, 32, 48 mb of RAM. That sounds quite small, in computer terms these days, but is 32 or 16 sufficient enough to run one without waiting for long load times and such?

Anyone have one? Let me know your experiences. Right now I am looking at a PalmOne Tungsten E. Any comments on it?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
I have an old Handspring Visor Edge. Has 8 mb of RAM and is more than enough for my purposes (contacts, tasks and most recently Auterra scanning software). I've lost touch with the new offerings, so can't help you there.

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
I know I have 2 really nice ones sitting on my desk right now and dont know how to use either of them.

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Thanks a bunch, you guys have been very helpful so far. :D

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
Well, there are a LOT of good Palm related sites out there. I bet you won't find much in the way of Ford Explorer info on them. :p

R

rydinhigh

I had the palm tungsten E and was very happy with it. Not sure which map software you are looking for but mapopolis was very hard for me to use, and I would not recomend it.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I thought I heard something about "Palm Pilots" going blind and growing hair on their palms. :confused:

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Rick said:
I thought I heard something about "Palm Pilots" going blind and growing hair on their palms. :confused:

Perv. :eek:

Garth

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mt Vernon NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
I bought a Dell Axim X30 and I got the Pharos gps system to go with it. A week after I saw the microsoft gps system for $99. I paid $199. for the pharos. I put 3 songs on the axim and its now loaded. I now know for sure that it would not hold much of a map when I was driving to Georgia. Btw I bought the Axim for my wifes birthday and planned to use it as a navigation device.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
You will need to purchase a seperate GPS device tht attaches to the Palm itself. From that point, do a LOT of research online from the best mapping software. I tried out StreetFinder and Mapopolis, and wasn't happy with either of them for different reasons. Maybe there is something new and better on the market.

I wouldn't worry to much about the memory of the actual Palm itself, you probably won't use it for the maps anyway. The best thing to do is to use plug-in memory cards to store the maps.

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
PalMone.

Naw, go with an Apple Newton Messagepad 2x00 :thumbsup: