What do you put in your EX for winter-snow added weight? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you put in your EX for winter-snow added weight?

old mechanic

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
R.I.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I have been using 60lb sand tubes-$3-$4 each from Home Depot
These have salt or something in them so they will not freeze. If you get stuck in snow-ice you can open up the tube and throw the sand-salt under the wheels for added traction.
I put 4 in my EX and 8 in my 4x4 Ford Trucks. My son puts 12 in his F-350 4x4 Ford.
They seem to be pretty good but I am wondering what everyone else uses.
Anything better to use around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't use anything other than 4wd. I have driven through snow almost up to teh bumper with no issue

I have a bunch of Craftsman tools in the back of mine and a duffle bag full of emergency supplies. But that's always in there :pPP But we don't really get snow in WA so... 4hi will be good enough.

I don't use anything in my explorer, get by just fine in 4x4. When I had my 2wd pickup, I put concrete blocks in the bed for added traction.

Snow tires - you won't believe the improvement

I never had to put anything in the back of my explorer. Though I'll probably have to put something in the back of the b2 this winter if we get much snow. My dad had always put old tires filled with concrete in the back of his truck, they seem to work well and don't slide around at all, like I think sandbags would. He put eye-bolts in them so they're easy to pick up with a come-a-long, and drop right into the bed.

I've never used added weight to help in the snow. But, a lot depends on situation. Just around town, I just let the 4WD system handle it. On the highway, where things could get a little lonely, I like to carry a set of chains and a tow rope/winch just in case I end up off the road. When I go off-road/4 wheeling in the snow, I like to go with my brother's Land Rover, so there's a better chance at least one of our rigs will be able to get out.

In Calif, you are required to carry chains (when they have chain controls on) even though you don't have to use them if you have 4wd. :confused:

So I carry chains in the back. And a shovel. The shovel is the important piece of equipment. ;)

hehe, chains are illegal in OH. I just drive. Ihave AAA LOL

chriswells78 said:
hehe, chains are illegal in OH. I just drive. Ihave AAA LOL

AAA rocks. I have a right foot...and now a low range :D

I dont carry anything other than my snowbaords and gear in the winter. Which acually adds quite a bit. But I havent gotten stuck in snow yet, and ive tried. :D

I have never seen snow over three inches deep :mad: Sounds like ya'll are having all the fun.

Snow? I have heard of this strange white stuff.......Sounds like fun.

Normally we get maybe 3" once or twice a year.

Actually, we had a freak storm in the early 90s. We got 24" of snow over the course of one day. I had a ranger then and just locked it in 4 low and went. No problems at all.

techieman33 said:
I never had to put anything in the back of my explorer. Though I'll probably have to put something in the back of the b2 this winter if we get much snow. My dad had always put old tires filled with concrete in the back of his truck, they seem to work well and don't slide around at all, like I think sandbags would. He put eye-bolts in them so they're easy to pick up with a come-a-long, and drop right into the bed.
-----------
Sand bags don't slide around much. Anything that slides around should have the rubber non slide material around them and a piece of tape to hold them around the product you use. These can be had almost anywhere for $1.00. The dollar store has them. They are about 12"x24".

I just depress my right foot a little more :)

I have my 4x6" rectangular steel tubing rear bumper and my 2" square tubing swingout arm and spare tire.. Thats heavy enough.

We haven't had much snow in a few years probably due for a big one this year. I do keep a tow rope and a military surplus folding shovel as well as a 12 volt air compressor a blanket and a emergency set of tools. Which on the Navajo consists of lots of tools so I guess I don't add anything that's not normally there.

I carry a tow strap and gloves, if I get stuck (BII really doesnt get stuck, at least not yet) in the explorer I will just let air out of the tires for more traction.
10 psi will do wonders on ice and snow for your traction.

No extra weight, no snow tires, just 4wd and technique is all you need.
Lots of practice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might also want to be carefull about how the weight is put in the back, cuz if its not centered right, it'll tend to make your back end swing out more on slippery roads. The closer the weight is to the center of the wheelbase the better it is. The helps a lot on thick snow, just gotta be carefull on the slippery stuff when turning. I carry a tool chest and two 40lbs bags of sand.

Back