What do you think of your Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think of your Sport Trac

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So right now I have a 98 explorer 4.0L OHV V6. I've been looking at some used cars to buy. I've come across a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. It has around 60K miles, and has the 4.0L SOHC V6. I was wondering what you Sport Trac owners have to say about your sport tracs. Tell me what you think. What I mainly want to know is, how reliable is it, how good it is off-road and on road, and major and minor problems you've had. But tell me anything you think would help me out in possibly making the purchase of a 2004 Sport Trac.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll be basically be swapping your inside cargo space for the Sport Trac's outside cargo space. I've never driven a 4.0L OHV motor so I can't compare. I sold my 98 F150 S.Cab 4x4 to get my 02 4x4 Trac and am quite happy with the results. It won't tow the lbs my 150 would but it does well. No problems at all in the snow though I wish it had a LS rear .... just for my peace of mind. I don't do the mud/off-road thing much so I can't speak personally for that but there are some here that will fill you in on that.

well i had a crew cab 4x4 s10 that got stuck everywere and was slow and weak. i bought the sport trac and havent had any problems out of it went thru same trails s10 wouldnt and has plenty of power and lots of room. bed is only compromise but it still has one. i really like it. definantly best of all worlds as in plenty of room for family, bed and nice offroad ability.

In 3 more days I will have had my Sport Trac 4x4 for 10 years. I bought her on 6/30/2000.

Here's my thread on the life and times I've had with her...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=95827

The 2004 model year of Sport Trac should be good. It shouldn't have the transmission 2-3 flare or the timing chain rattle problems.

Even mine is over 10 years old, rusting, has the 2-3 flare, and is running not as strong as before(still diagnosing the problem); she has never let me down on the side of the road.

I love her to death, but I am having thoughts of selling her. Why? Because her wheelbase is a little long for ideal offroading, I really like the v8 power I have with my 2000 Limited, and I really don't need two trucks.

Well at first i bought it and it was cool, no moods, then i was planing on lift and some offroad, wish i haven't dont it jet, cause i was investing in the famous Ford sounds so i replaced all the bushings and front back suspension, and its just ok! now what i most love is that the more you read on this Forum and do by your own the mechanic the more you love it!

besides, i got hit like 4 times, and the only thing you can notice is the head lamps and a obvious hole that looks like wolverine done it on the bumper, that was a Lancer that ended up under the truck, so its a heavy one. I cant wait to have it back cause the was a sick Hit and Run @ my House and hit the wheel and tire and did some damage and the fender as well I posted the pics pages back.

I off road mine, it does have the L/S rear end but, it is limited. Gas mileage sucks, about 15mpg avg but it is a 4wd truck with a 32" tire. Tows my tent trailer well with no problems other then 13mpg while towing. I hate the tupperware pieces below the doors because I had a problem with them falling off due to the snap things that hold them on broke and the dealer thinks they are made of gold. At $6 apiece they are proud of them and you need a bunch per side. Abit my fault they broke, I did it while offroading, but nothing to bad. I also had problems with the rear door handles and window regulators. Also like the room in the rear seats have. It is a great midsize truck and I would buy again. If you need a 4 door truck but don't want a full size this is a great truck.

I have had my Sport Trac for 2 years now and love it. This truck is my daily driver and it has run perfectly. My gas milage runs around 19mpg in a 64 mile round trip a day. My STrac is a 2 wheel drive, so no off roading for me. If I feel like playing off road I take out my Yamaha Rhino UTV or Polaris ATV. This is my first experience with the Sport Tracs, but I would have no problem buying another one. Good luck with your decision.

I looked at a few before buying my latest Gen II Ex, and couldn't get past the indoor to outdoor swap that Steve mentioned. I sometimes have stuff back there for a quick trip that seems to stay for a few days. I like my indoor cargo space, I couldn't get past that I guess. I know there is the bed cover, but the space just isn't the same. I've owned trucks, and it was sometimes a real hassle. If you don't haul much stuff around, the ST would be a stellar choice. :thumbsup:

You'll be basically be swapping your inside cargo space for the Sport Trac's outside cargo space. I've never driven a 4.0L OHV motor so I can't compare. I sold my 98 F150 S.Cab 4x4 to get my 02 4x4 Trac and am quite happy with the results. It won't tow the lbs my 150 would but it does well. No problems at all in the snow though I wish it had a LS rear .... just for my peace of mind. I don't do the mud/off-road thing much so I can't speak personally for that but there are some here that will fill you in on that.

The 4.0L OHV I think has better Acceleration than the 4.0L SOHC. I've driven a few Rangers with the SOHC and it seems to accelerate slower than my OHV.
-I'm sure someone knows about snow driving with the Sport Trac, how does it handle in snow?

The 4.0L OHV I think has better Acceleration than the 4.0L SOHC. I've driven a few Rangers with the SOHC and it seems to accelerate slower than my OHV.
-I'm sure someone knows about snow driving with the Sport Trac, how does it handle in snow?
I had the inverse of that when I traded in my '95 Explorer with the OHV for my '04 Sport Trac with the SOHC - I couldn't believe just how much more power the Sport Trac had, even though it was significantly heavier.

The Sport Tracs do ok in the snow, but like any pickup with an empty bed, there isn't as much weight over the rear axle so a few sandbags in the back do wonders.

Oh, and between my 2nd Gen Explorer, my '04 Sport Trac, and my 3rd Gen Explorer, the Sport Trac is/was my favorite. Too bad it's so far away from me now... :(

Tom

Well I've made the decision to make an offer on this sport trac. I will be going tomorrow morning to offer. Its a awesome car, and it is clean. And I mean clean. Looks like no one has used those back seats. I hope I can get it, I'd love to have it. But if I get it, there's no way my 98 XLT is going as a trade-in. I'm keeping that thing. Its a beast of a SUV.

I had the inverse of that when I traded in my '95 Explorer with the OHV for my '04 Sport Trac with the SOHC - I couldn't believe just how much more power the Sport Trac had, even though it was significantly heavier.

The Sport Tracs do ok in the snow, but like any pickup with an empty bed, there isn't as much weight over the rear axle so a few sandbags in the back do wonders.

Oh, and between my 2nd Gen Explorer, my '04 Sport Trac, and my 3rd Gen Explorer, the Sport Trac is/was my favorite. Too bad it's so far away from me now... :(

Tom

Now I agree with your comment of better acceleration. There's something about those rangers that make it feel slow...I drove that sport trac, and it has better acceleration.
And too bad you got those two Trucks sitting in Texas. I'd hate to have those two trucks that far away.

You'll be basically be swapping your inside cargo space for the Sport Trac's outside cargo space.
Yup. As long as you can live with the short bed, they're better if you have the bed extender, they're great.
I call it an SUV for people who need to haul dirt.

I like the rubber flooring in the truck, thought that was pretty nifty ;)

I got my 03 when grandma passed away in 06 and ive been driving it since 08. It only has 60k on it, runs great but been in a few fender benders and one hefty speeding ticket ("I swear I was only doing 55 officer"). Mine has 4x4 so it does pretty good off road and in snow. I love her to death and they are great vehicles and I do recomend them

No-Dak-er here. Good choice with the Sport Trac. As stated, does like any other truck in the snow. Few sandbags is a wonder. I rolled mine, ('02) with the family inside. The only injury was a small cut on my finger. I would recommend this to anyone.

p.s. cost $10K for the insurance company to put it all back to gether, but I get better fuel mileage now.. go figure!

Needs more power:(

X2

This vehicle is easily heavy enuff to have warranted Ford offering a V-8 or maybe even a Super Coupe V-6 powered version. I luckily have a Cummins 4BT sitting in the garage just waiting for my 4.0 to give me a reason to drop it in. I bought the engine a couple of months before I bought my S/T with this intention but the truck I found is too nice to start cutting on!!:mad:

I luckily have a Cummins 4BT sitting in the garage just waiting for my 4.0 to give me a reason to drop it in.

Thats awesome dude, I would love to see you do that to your trac, in fact, I would give you some help with that project, if you wanted it. Key Largo is a 45min drive for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be most appreciated however,,,,,my house with the garage is on the West coast Cape Coral. I'm just renting in the Keys for work. All of my Early Bronco stuff is still back in La. I need to start bringing some stuff back this way and rebuilding it in anticipation of the swap. I really need to find a project priced S/T with a blown motor or damaged body.

Back