What do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it looks fine. By the way for anyone in the future (with white), Lund makes a chrome bug deflector which could look good on white

I am looking for your honest opinion.Have I done to much by adding the bug deflector and the side vents or it looks nice?
Thank you
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ9CXSY1Xsg&feature=g-upl]
Looks good to me. This is the first time in the past 10 years or so that I didn't go with a bug deflector.
Next time you photograph or film the Explorer, it would be a good idea to cover the license plate. Just saying.

Peter (former Londoner)

Looks good! I really like it, especially the side vents, they look really sharp!

Are you kidding? She looks fantastic! I had to play the video a 2nd time to see the side vents, (for some reason I was thinking vents on the front quarter panel or on the side of the hood)! Running boards look great too... Nice ride !

.... Ooooooops, I just checked the Lund site and they state that the chrome bug deflector is NOT offered for the '12 , '13 Explorer Limited, (did not bother checking for the 2011s - they're all the same hood).

Looks good...I have the same exact setup but I also have the shark fin antenna.

I could not tell but it looks like you have the Ford bumper protector. I went with the aftermarket one that has a lip that covers the edge of the bumper.

I do want to tint my front windows like you have...that looks really nice.
Do you mind if I ask how much the front windows cost to have tinted?

GEDC0069.jpg

Looks good to me.

Really in todays cookie cutter cars, what ever you can do to make yours different works.

Case in point, in 96 i bought new ram. I went to get gas and another driver came in in the exact same set up. Only difference was i had added pin stripping to the truck. I then went on to add extras to make it stand out.

I am currently driving a new 13 XLT in blue. I got it because I have yet to see another deep impact blue on the road. I have added the wind deflectors and an american flag themed bug deflector. Makes it stand out.

IMG_0004.jpg

Thank you guys. Your input is really appreciated. The tint on the front was 80 for the 2 windows. The deflector and vents are AVS. I also have nice valve capes and license plate screws but not visible from that distance. I tried to keep a combination of black and white and I don't think that the chrome bug deflector would have been right but that is just me. I am thinking to change the lug nuts on the rims with black ones to give a bit of contrast. What you guys think
Thanks again for your responses. Great forum

Hey Peter. Maybe it sound as a naive question but what is the danger in showing your plates?
Tx
By the way the blue ex really sharp. Congrats

I am looking for your honest opinion.Have I done to much by adding the bug deflector and the side vents or it looks nice?
Thank you
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ9CXSY1Xsg&feature=g-upl]
Looking good, angeloti! Even the lens flair around the minute mark was a nice touch. Gorgeous! :D

...Next time you photograph or film the Explorer, it would be a good idea to cover the license plate. Just saying...
Good suggestion on the license plate, Peter. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Are you kidding? She looks fantastic!...Running boards look great too... Nice ride !
I’m with you, grrtrainman; I was going to compliment the running boards too. :)

Looks good...I have the same exact setup but I also have the shark fin antenna...
That shark fin antenna gives a great look to your Explorer, jlrohio. Is there a reason for the cardboard? ;)

...I am currently driving a new 13 XLT in blue. I got it because I have yet to see another deep impact blue on the road. I have added the wind deflectors and an american flag themed bug deflector. Makes it stand out...
You’re right, Kjeffery; that flag bug deflector really makes the whole front pop! :salute:

Cory

That shark fin antenna gives a great look to your Explorer, jlrohio. Is there a reason for the cardboard? ;)

Cory

The cardboard was there because I took the pic just after installing the running boards. I was using the cardboard to place the running boards on them, just prior to installing them, to keep the powder-coating from being scratched and also to lay down on as I was putting them on.

As for the shark fin...I get a lot of questions about that...Ford really should have put a shark fin on these. Ever since I saw the first mini antenna on top of a roof on a Mercury Cougar years ago...I thought they looked stupid. :eek:

Nice! I like the tints, running boards and rear protector! I don't like bug protectors! But your car still looks awesome!

All these vehicles look awesome, but I'm a Platinum White too, so I'm loving what's been done there! What type of running boards did you guys use? I love the look with the running boards, where did you get them?

All these vehicles look awesome, but I'm a Platinum White too, so I'm loving what's been done there! What type of running boards did you guys use? I love the look with the running boards, where did you get them?

I ordered from AutoAnything.com.
Right now they seem to be having a 15% off sale - but they always seem to have some sort of sale - 15% seems to be the max discount they give (from what I have seen). They also have free shipping right now.

The running boards I got were DeeZee. The chrome version part number is: DZ 16202. It appears that AutoAnything does not have them in stock right now - you could call them and ask them to call DeeZee to see when they get them in again.

The best thing about AutoAnything when ordering these is that AutoAnything includes the mounting hardware with the running boards (yea, who would have thought that these would be sold as two separate items!). Other places charge you almost $100 more for the mounting hardware (which is part # DZ 16221).

I also ordered my AVS Bugflector II & AVS In-Channel Ventvisors from them on the same order. My total out the door was $400 after discounts and no shipping charges. Make sure you compare apples to apples when shopping around.

The shark fin antenna was ordered from Visual Garage, for approx. $70. (ordering is a two-three step process and could take a few weeks but is worth it!)

The bumper cover was from BMC Extreme Customs for ~$81 shipped

Here's some threads about these items (incl. pictures).

NY1PR2012's White Platinum Ex with the running boards & mudflaps

Thread & pics of Shark Fin Antenna

BMC Extreme Bumper Cover discussion here

Thanks for the info jlrohio! I'm loving the running boards and all your upgrades! I'm thinking my XLT will need some personalization and I'm pretty excited at the possibilities!

I also installed the aftermarket rear bumper protector versus the Ford brand ... solely for the edge protection. OTOH, I installed the Ford Aeroskin Hood Protector which lays flat on the hood and doesn't collect leaves. I've never cared much for the generic bug deflectors which often end up flapping about or vibrating, and eventually rub paint away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Peter. Maybe it sound as a naive question but what is the danger in showing your plates?
Tx
By the way the blue ex really sharp. Congrats
It is just a precaution. With a plate number, people can find out your name, address, etc. I don't think it is a really big deal but you never know. I realize they can do the same just driving around the streets but as you can see, most posted pictures have the plates unreadable.

Peter

Back