What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer?

got to https://owner.ford.com and use your vin to register, then you can download the manual and search it a lot faster than reading it:

don't know if this will post correctly out of the manual but here goes:

Your vehicle may tow a Class I or III trailer provided the maximum trailer
weight is less than or equal to the maximum trailer weight listed for your
vehicle configuration on the following chart.

Four-wheel drive vehicles
3.5L TiVCT,
6–passenger, Class I
7100 (3221) 2000 (907)
3.5L TiVCT,
7–passenger, Class I
7110 (3225) 2020 (916)
3.5L TiVCT,
6–passenger, Class III
10160 (4608) 5000 (2268)
3.5L TiVCT,
7–passenger, Class III
10160 (4608) 5040 (2286)

*For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a
weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer
tongue loads through your vehicle’s underbody structure. For towing
trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer
weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase
front axle load while towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fun-ny :) :)

While we got the tow pkg just in case... not sure the Explorer will tow what I tow ...

oops, I just realized I can't upload images with manage attachments as most forum software allows... ah - I found out how - join the forum !!! I r now elite !

suffice it to say my 2012 ford 250 tows our 15k 5th wheel well !!!:rangertan:

Attachments

• F250 WITH bags.jpg
    F250 WITH bags.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,009

Has anyone bought tow mirrors for their Explorer that they would recommend?
Thanks,
Don

My Jeep.

100_4975.jpg

the last two sure don't look like explorers. :dunno:

the last two sure don't look like explorers. :dunno:

My F-250 is long gone. I just don't have a pic of my Explorer with a trailer yet. Other than adding a set of air bags, it tows just fine.

Fun-ny :) :)
suffice it to say my 2012 ford 250 tows our 15k 5th wheel well !!!:rangertan:

BUT - not well enough to stop me from upgrading again :)

This is in the garage and my signature tonight !!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• F350 first picture.jpg
    F350 first picture.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 884

165839_10151720688095538_1066158098_n_zps9ceec266.jpg

179917_10151708311280538_1388348768_n_zpsd79633af.jpg

303744_10150382424521973_1952884820_n_zps19d3559c.jpg

So there's no integrated trailer brake controller in these correct? Just the tow button to change transmission mapping, etc.? I got the tow package on mine, but just wanted to make sure before I bought a trailer brake controller to install in it, that there wasn't some gizmo already in it to accomplish that.

I don't see an installed controller, but do you need one for < 5k lb ?!?
And does the Ex have a 7 pin connector that will send a brake signal ?

IIRC, most smaller trailers don't have brakes...

it's got a 4 pin and a 7 pin. I noticed it already has the fuse installed for a TBC, just wanted to verify there wasn't an integrated one. My raptor has a built in one and it has the control on the dash for manually applying the trailer brakes and adjusting the gain, but wasn't sure if that may be hidden in some menu on the instrument cluster in the explorer.

My trailers a 20' full deck two axle trailer, ~2,400 lbs empty, electric brakes. It's a handful towing without using the brakes.

A coffin, but i can't find my mother in law to finish the load....lol

A coffin, but i can't find my mother in law to finish the load....lol

that'l cost ya if it gets in the wrong hands :)

it's got a 4 pin and a 7 pin. I noticed it already has the fuse installed for a TBC, just wanted to verify there wasn't an integrated one. My raptor has a built in one and it has the control on the dash for manually applying the trailer brakes and adjusting the gain, but wasn't sure if that may be hidden in some menu on the instrument cluster in the explorer.

My trailers a 20' full deck two axle trailer, ~2,400 lbs empty, electric brakes. It's a handful towing without using the brakes.

then maybe you need more tow vehicle if it's a handful ?!? :)

our truck has a tbc built in too (along with a lot of other NON-truck stuff :) ):

Attachments

• F350 pic small.jpg
    F350 pic small.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 790

then maybe you need more tow vehicle if it's a handful ?!? :)

our truck has a tbc built in too (along with a lot of other NON-truck stuff :) ):

I have more of a tow vehicle, I've got a 2012 SVT Raptor rated for 8k lbs.

Cecil-03.jpg

Thats what I tow my "race truck" with to the track. But sometimes I use my trailer for home depot trips to pick up a pallet of concrete, pavers, decking, or whatever, and it's nice to have another vehicle to tow with and not have to take the Raptor. Or heck just moving my trailer around, if I have to take it someplace an hour away to drop it off for some one, it's nice having another option to drive, and the trailer brakes working even on the empty trailer makes a significant improvement in stopping distance.

Plus, it is rated for 5k lbs, so if I want to tow 5k lbs with it, or even 4k or 3k lbs, trailer brakes are a must-have. It's being irresponsible towing that much with no brakes on the trailer as stopping distance drastically increases. Just wanted to see if there was an integrated one built in, or if it still required an aftermarket unit hooked up.

New Explorer owner - 2013 XLT - towing a 2006 Pioneer 197 Sport Fish. I estimate a little over 4000 lbs. I am downsizing from a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition so I was a little nervous about towing the boat, but it tows it fine. Takes a while to get to highway speeds but the trailer has surge disk brakes and the whole rig stops fine which is probably more important. -- Bud

ford-crop.jpg

Here's my wifes Sport with the (ole) horse trailer. It pulls it extremely well, I was very pleased. I have a F150 with the 6.2 and this thing pulls just as good if not better as far as power goes.

Explorerwithtrailer_zps74a22de4.jpg

2013 xlt owners: What are you towing?

Hey all, new to the forums and looking to get a travel trailer for our family of 4 to take camping. I currently have a 2013 xlt with factory tow package, Class III. We're presently looking at a Jayco trailer 16xrb with a weight of 3500 lbs and dry hitch of 315 lbs. We'll be going up some mountains in the sierra foothills in CA and also over the coastal mountains to places like Pismo Beach. I'm just curious what you guys are towing and some of your experiences with this vehicle. As a sidenote, I'm extremely newb at towing, basically still a virgin at this point lol. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, new to the forums and looking to get a travel trailer for our family of 4 to take camping. I currently have a 2013 xlt with factory tow package, Class III. We're presently looking at a Jayco trailer 16xrb with a weight of 3500 lbs and dry hitch of 315 lbs. We'll be going up some mountains in the sierra foothills in CA and also over the coastal mountains to places like Pismo Beach. I'm just curious what you guys are towing and some of your experiences with this vehicle. As a sidenote, I'm extremely newb at towing, basically still a virgin at this point lol. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum thestrangebrew.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with t his one on the same topic.

Peter

Back