What does rebuilding a transmissio mean? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does rebuilding a transmissio mean?

arnoldv

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Navajo LX
What does rebuilding a transmission mean?

Seriously, what does rebuilding a transmission mean? What's the rebuilding process? Why is it necessary?

Forgive me, I'm a noob!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When they rebuild, they take the internals out and replace them with new and or improved parts. A full rebuild means much of the tranny is new, but the external case is just re-used.

Is it hard to do it yourself? How many people in this forum does this themselves?

A rebuild can mean many things in the transmission world. Anywhere from the pressure plates to the whole deal. Basically they tear it down and replace most or all of the damaged or worn parts.

Be careful though, I had a tranny shop tell me I needed a 4000 dollar rebuild when all I really needed was a flush.

It's necessary because naturally, moving things wear over time. If the moving things are torqued harder, then they will wear faster. There are friction discs, planetary gears, a valve body, and various sensors in your tranny. Also it has a torque converter. Imagine the most complicated piece of machinery ever- besides the space shuttle, and you have the auto tranny. Also, thank your lucky stars if your tranny still works.

Originally posted by arnoldv
Is it hard to do it yourself? How many people in this forum does this themselves?

NO, you can not rebuild an automatic tranny yourself nor do you want to. Is it manual or auto? If it is manual you could do it, but it is still tricky.

I'm sure with good instructions and all the tools, etc, I could've rebuilt my tranny myself. However, I figure it's better to let my mechanic do it in a week and give me a warranty than me do it in 2 or 3 and be SOL when I get stuck on the side of the highway.

95XLTs description is correct, I'm getting all new planetary gearsets and clutchpacks. Depending on how bad the tranny is grenaded, they'll replace more or less.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Imagine the most complicated piece of machinery ever- besides the space shuttle, and you have the auto tranny.

LOL...well said!

How would I know if I need it rebuilt? It's an auto. It does "clank" when I shift from park to reverse and reverse to drive. Maybe it's the U-joint?

I don't plan on rebuilding it, ever. The rebuilding cost would cost my than my car.

BTW, THANKS YALL!!!!!!!!

A clank could be many things. Warn U-joints, drive shaft, loose mounts. Crawl under the truck and try to wiggle your drive shaft at the U-joints. If it's loose your joints are worn. Those are about 15 each and easy to replace. Check your crossmember bolts and visually inspect the driveline.

Those are some good places to start.

Also, a clunk could be caused if your rear end is wearing out, such as your l/s clutch packs.

trannie

welcome to the world of crappy ford trannies if you have the A4LD you rank right up there at #2 for rebuilt trannies. right behind the ford aerostar i think it is. imagine a rebuild as having youre internal parts not working. heart, lungs...everything. then just open ya up take em out and throw in new ones. unless you have a hookup at a shop plan on spending at least 2 G's. good luck man

Back