• Register Today It's free!

What does this plug go to?

Halo9809

Reaction score
City, State
Zebulon, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently bought a 2019 explorer that is fully loaded with everything. Every time I start it I get a message saying the hood is ajar and also that says pre collision system not available. I got under it this morning and was looking for what might be wrong and found a plug on the bumper with the numbers 4-2203663-6 and 18-057-22. I would post a photo but am not sure how. I looked around and couldn’t find anything that it would hook to. I know the car has been in a collision before also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently bought a 2019 explorer that is fully loaded with everything. Every time I start it I get a message saying the hood is ajar and also that says pre collision system not available. I got under it this morning and was looking for what might be wrong and found a plug on the bumper with the numbers 4-2203663-6 and 18-057-22. I would post a photo but am not sure how. I looked around and couldn’t find anything that it would hook to. I know the car has been in a collision before also.
Here is a link to the photo.

Look under hood and see if the hood switch (right side with rubber boot is connected,
PS your picture is not coming up when i click the link

14724621-E4FC-4687-84C5-04A6ECC5C8FA.jpeg

If Joe's switch picture doesn't look like a mate to it, look in my sig and there is a direct link to a PDF with many Ford connectors pictured and grouped by # of contacts.

The photobucket link isn't working for me either. If on a desktop browser you can just drag and drop the picture into the topic reply box. If it's too large, the forum code will resize it.

Best guess is proximity or parking aid sensor in or near the corner bumper area, except from what I could find, that only uses a 3 pin connector.

Best guess is proximity or parking aid sensor in or near the corner bumper area.
I looked everywhere that was within reach of the cable and could not find anything that it would hook up to. I am not sure if the component has a wiring harness that is long enough to hook up to that I can just not find or if it is a component that is missing and I should try to find a replacmenet for. I would really like to have the pre collision assist system and also due to whatever is not hooked up or missing I cannot even use my regular cruise control because it has disabled the adaptive cruise control system also.

Is there a sensor or plug in the bumper area visible from the exterior? I'd wonder if sensor not present after collision repair, though I edited my last post to include that what I could find about the park aid sensor is that it uses 3 wires so not sure why yours would have 4, makes me less than 100% sure that is what it is. I did find that there is a different park aid sensor part # for with, and without auto park feature on the vehicle so possibly this is where the difference lies. I'll include a few links as I find them, don't know if they'll help.

There's also an ambient air temp sensor shown on this diagram, but I doubt that's it because if it were missing, doesn't seem like that should cause a collision system message. EDIT: There is a temp sensor involved somehow, is listed on the DTC codes but I don't know if it is relevant and it appears to be only a two wire sensor. I could be wrong:

Is there a sensor or plug in the bumper area visible from the exterior? I'd wonder if sensor not present after collision repair, though I edited my last post to include that what I could find about the park aid sensor is that it uses 3 wires so not sure why yours would have 4, makes me less than 100% sure that is what it is.
All the parking sensors and foward camera are functional and I was not able to find anything that is not plugged in.

I edited my last post, do that a lot within the first few minutes to hours after making one.

At this point I'd tackle it the other way around, hook up a scan tool capable of ford DTC codes and see what it reports for the collision system, or anything really. With the message showing, there should be a code set.

I don't have the corresponding info for a '19 and don't know if it changed between '14 and '19 but '14 is what I have, linked below, or you could get the whole workshop manual linked in my sig, or seek a '19 workshop manual. At least the DTC codes it lists, probably have not changed so might point in some direction.

I forgot that this subforum doesn't allow file attachments, here is the '14 workshop manual collision section as a PDF:

You might also see if a moderator will move this topic to the 5th gen forum where more fellow owners will see it. I mean the main Stock 2011 -2019 Ford Explorer Discussion, section. Maybe someone with the feature can be coaxed to crawl under their vehicle, after sufficient time to digest a lot of turkey. :) My '14 doesn't have the collision avoidance besides the rear backup camera and beeping.

You may still have a hood switch problem and I don't know if that could trigger the collision avoidance message. Seems like it would make more sense for it to only trigger a hood ajar message since we know it can do that.

As an Elite Explorer member, all you should have to do is click on the "Attach files" button at the lower left of your post and you should be able to download the picture file directly from your device/computer.

Peter

You might also see if a moderator will move this topic to the 5th gen forum where more fellow owners will see it. I mean the main Stock 2011 -2018 Ford Explorer Discussion, section. ...............................
Done.

Looks like it might be the plug for the cruise control module which also makes sense with the warning you're getting, it behind the bumper, left of center it might have just been left un-plugged after the repairs??
1669307973416.png

^ That seems right! The cruise control distance sensor, not main CC module which has a lot more pins.

We only see the back side of the connector in the pictures but here is what the sensor socket, and bracket it's on, looks like. Second pic, arrow pointing to part of this bracket... "maybe".

CC-distance-sensor.jpg

CC-sensor-bracket.jpg

Module is all in one sensor and control module, plug has lots of space for wires but only has four wires in it, power, ground, and the two HS can wires.
PinCircuitGaugeCircuit FunctionQualifier
1**Not Used
2**Not Used
3**Not Used
4GD120 (BK-GN)20GROUND - FENDER FRONT LEFT
5**Not Used
6**Not Used
7VDB26 (GY-BU)22CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED 2 (UPPER) LOW
8VDB25 (GN-OG)22CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED 2 (UPPER) HIGH
9**Not Used
10CBB21 (BU-GY)20FUSE - 21 OR CIRCUIT BREAKER
11**Not Used
12**Not Used
13**Not Used
14**Not Used
15**Not Used
16**Not Used
17**Not Used
18**Not Used

Available Pigtail Kits
Pigtail Kit Part Number WPT-1342
Connector Image
Service Part Number: CU2Z-14S411-GA
Gauge:20
Pin material:Silver
Cavities:18

Vehicle Uses:​

• Module - Adaptive Cruise Control
Pigtail Kit Part Number WPT-1411
Connector Image
Service Part Number: CU2Z-14S411-GB
Gauge:18
Pin material:Silver
Cavities:18

Vehicle Uses:​

• Module - Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Module - Occupant Classification
  • Module - Reverse Park Aid (RPA)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heh, leave it to ford to use an 18 pin connector for a 4 pin job!

I tried to enhance that pic I put an arrow on, and it almost looks like the bracket is there, but the CC module itself is not. Considering it's a $600-ish part, I think I'd hit up a junkyard for something not very old. Does this need programming or is plug-n-play?

Glad this is mostly solved, have to go attack a bird with a knife. Happy Thanksgiving All!

Back