What does your Idle usually sit at? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does your Idle usually sit at?

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I have a 92 explorer sport and im concerned about the idle. its about 500-700 RPMs and i can feel the vehicle shaking when its at a stop. If i put it in neutral and rev it gently to about 1000, then it goes away, is there any way to adjust this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No way to adjust the idle, but that sounds right on to where it should be. If the vehicle is shaking at a stop, you have other issues. Is there a Check Engine Light? You should pull the codes anyway to see if there are some old ones. Sounds like you may possibly have a leaky EGR or a vacuum leak.

No CEL or codes, the engine runs perfect except for this little mystery. What's the EGR? I'll have to get a vaccum diagram and check my hoses

Did all this start right after the tune up? What kinda plugs did you use?

No this has been going on ever since i can remember. Even with the old plugs.

I decided to go with the Bosch Platinums, and have been very happy with their performance thus far. The guy tried to talk me into autolites, but i was wary. I've heard too many horror stories about autolites and explorers...

No this has been going on ever since i can remember. Even with the old plugs.

I decided to go with the Bosch Platinums, and have been very happy with their performance thus far. The guy tried to talk me into autolites, but i was wary. I've heard too many horror stories about autolites and explorers...

I think you got it backwards. Autolites are almost exactly equivalent to the OE plugs in explorers. I believe Autolite may even make the OE Ford plugs. Hardly anybody has ever had any problems with them, at least no one I have ever heard of.

On the other hand, Bosch Platinums have been known to cause poor performance with Ford ignition systems. They don't meet proper specifications. As a matter of fact, I have read about many people having problems with them on other makes of vehicles, too.

I forgot to mention, don't worry about the EGR valve. I didn't realize at first (for some reason) that yours is a '92, which mean it doesn't have one.

Also, not saying your plugs are necessarily the problem, just stating what has been said many times around this site.

The only thing I can think of is to clean your MAF, see if that helps. Search the site if you don't know how to. Without any codes present it complicates things....

Yea I bought some bosch platinums for my old Grand Am and they were horrible, the idle was rough and I couldnt even spin the tires anymore, whereas my brothers 87 honda civic saw a noticeable gain in power from them.

theres too many posts about the spark plugs. I'm still comfortable with the ones im running, and I don't see any negative change so i'm going to rule them out.

As far as the MAF, i have cleaned it, and i salvaged an old one too to test performance. Nothing changed, so it's not that.

i have bosch platinums in mine and it has just started to do the same thing you mentino. you might also want to try the TPS mod, might help the idle just a bit. i'm switching back to autolites having read all the tests and trials about them.

mine sits at 500 tp 700 rpm and my had a bad vibration at one point all i had to do was tighten the engine mounts and it cleared itself away the engine mount was a little loose.

mine sits at 500 tp 700 rpm and my had a bad vibration at one point all i had to do was tighten the engine mounts and it cleared itself away the engine mount was a little loose.

Bad engine mounts are very good at making normal engine vibration feel excessive.

does it get worse when put into gear?(under load)

If so, you either have a missing cylinder due to ignition misfire or sticking fuel injector on that cylinder, if ignition system seems ok, run some fuel injector cleaner through it, lucas or BG makes a great product.

A bad FPR can also give an odd idle.. Mine was iffy and it was idling funny but drove ok most of the time.. (idle was worse right after getting off the freeway).. when the FPR got really bad I knew what it was.. (started to get black smoke/soot)...

Also, check the compression if you can.. I had a rough idle right before the engine rebuild.. I had one cylinder that was down to 130psi when all the rest were well over 160.. It smoothed out somewhat at higher rpms but at idle it was a constant roughness...

~Mark

A bad FPR can also give an odd idle.. Mine was iffy and it was idling funny but drove ok most of the time.. (idle was worse right after getting off the freeway).. when the FPR got really bad I knew what it was.. (started to get black smoke/soot)...

Also, check the compression if you can.. I had a rough idle right before the engine rebuild.. I had one cylinder that was down to 130psi when all the rest were well over 160.. It smoothed out somewhat at higher rpms but at idle it was a constant roughness...

~Mark

What's the FPR?

That had occured 2 me, about the compression, How would i test that? i hope THATS not it... lol

does it get worse when put into gear?(under load)

If so, you either have a missing cylinder due to ignition misfire or sticking fuel injector on that cylinder, if ignition system seems ok, run some fuel injector cleaner through it, lucas or BG makes a great product.

it runs fine under load, and i ran injector cleaner through it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FPR is the fuel pressure regulator..

I picked up a cheap Fuel pressure tester (for fuel injected vehicles) from Harbor Freight tools for about $20.

As for compression, to test that you need to get a compression tester (its a gauge looking thing you put in where teh spark plug goes).. I like the kind you thread in.. Take all the plugs out.. put the tester in a hole.. turn the motor over about 5 times and watch how the compression comes up and what the number ends up being.. They should all be close to each other..

~Mark

Back