What drop in 3rd row comparable options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What drop in 3rd row comparable options?

Faethor

Reaction score
City, State
Fresh meadows
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Hi I recently purchased an 02 XLT it has third row seat back but no bench.

This explorer will be my camper for short trips. I want to remove the second row seat but wife says that we must have room for grandkids to sit in the back when we visit.

So I'm looking for options on which 3rd row seats will factory drop in.

So far my google searching hasn't found any original new to purchase 3rd row seats. I have yet to check junk yards but if that's the only option I will.... But there again knowing the compatibilities would help.

I live in NYC so just involving and storing the second row won't work as there is no space to store them.

Basically I could put a nice cooler and extra storage in the second row space while keeping a bit more "bunk" room.

Any 02-05 3rd row should fit. You’ll need the carpet piece as well as the seat, seat belts and cargo cover plate. I don’t recall but I may have had to grab the interior side panels as well. At least the one for the seat belt.

Of course grab all the screws and nuts, this includes the studs that have male torx ends. There’s two plastic pieces that lock the bottom seat in place. I recommend destroying the metal around them in the donor as they break easy trying to remove.
Your Ex won’t have threads in the bungs for the torx studs, but will create threads as you put them in. Just go straight. All the holes are there, they are just covered by adhesive backed foil. You can reuse these foil pieces to cover any holes you end up leaving empty.

Pretty much it, I believe. You will lose some space as the 3rd row doesn’t lay as flat.

Back