what ecu reaction to expect on these mods?? 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what ecu reaction to expect on these mods?? 5.0

stackz

Reaction score
City, State
james island, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 mountie
first, the background: 98 mountaineer, 5.0, 2wd, 160,000 miles

Done some searching and want to clear up some things first.
1. firing order is the same as standard 5.0 HO engines correct?
2. I can use an SCT tuner on the ecu correct?
3. My car has the GT-40 heads...NOT GT-40p heads correct?
4. 19lb/hr injectors correct?
5. what size throttlebody and MAF do I have??
6. are the stock pistons forged or cast??

ok, on to the questions. I'm going to be rebuilding the engine during the summer as I'm starting to notice a little sluggish throttle response during cruising and acceleration which reminds me of worn main bearings from past experiences...well and it could use it at 160k as well.

anyway, I was thinking of upgrading it a little during the rebuild to play some since it is a 5.0 vehicle and I've enjoyed playing with them in the past.

I was thinking of tossing in a cam (either B303 or F303), doing some mild portwork to the heads, and possibly tossing in a stroker kit.

How does the stock transmission react to the B and F cams?? I had an F303 in my 94 gt mustang and it chopped pretty decent at idle so I can see it "possibly" giving the stock torque converter a fit...

also, can I use a normal 5.0 stroker kit or does our EDIS 5.0 engine use a special crank with a trigger wheel attached in a special way??

how does the crank trigger and bracket bolt to the block?? is the block revised or can I go pull an earlier 5.0 from the junkyard to build on the side while still driving the mountaineer and then just swap out and transfer all the mountaineer parts over??

how will the ecu react to these internal engine changes?? will I need to chip it or will it behave itself until I decide to upgrade the air intake/fuel related components??

bump, nobody?

Back