• Register Today It's free!

What else - another transmission

mike6348

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.0 XLT
04 Explorer I bought new - now has 90k. Did the recall for fluid additive, fluid replaced at both 30k and 70K by the Ford dealer. Has not done any towing or offroading.

Transmission is now sitting apart on a bench at a local transmission rebuilder. Burned clutches, bad servo bores, brass pieces in the oil pan, solenoid pack,etc, etc. ($3000+). Oil pan gasket is being replaced while the tranny is out ($200).
Another rear axle seal is leaking and brakes are bad as well. The last time I had brakes done (Ford Dealer) it was $1200 since the emergency shoes were in pieces and all 4 rotors needed to be replaced even though all 4 wheels still had pad material left. Nobody seems to be able to resurface rotors anymore. I'll just have to spend a weekend replacing brakes as well as the axle seal myself since I just can't afford to have it done at $100+ an hour. I also have a front upper ball joint boot ripped so that will go on the list as well.

My first new car and probably the last one I will be able to afford. Pretty disappointed to say the least since this is just the latest in a long tale of expensive repair woes with this vehicle. Was pretty excited since I just got my tax refund back but that's turned to disgust since pretty much all of it's now going to fix this pig. Sorry but just had to vent a little.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No offense, but it sounds like you should have gotten second opinions on some those really high quotes.

I find it odd that the servo bores AND solenoid packs went out at the same time...

Brake pads, shoes, rotors, and ball joints are all wear items that have to be replaced with age on every vehicle.

Ya man ur definitly getting screwed...1200$ for brakes thats rediculus a 10yr old can do disk brakes...

As for the tranny you can get a fully rebuilt one for 1200$ with a warenty and they want 3000+ they are screwing you...i just rebuilt my tranny and installed it and trust me its not worth 3000$...250$ for the rebuild kit...250$ for servos...$200 for torque converter and 250$ if ur solenoids are even bad... now figure they even charge 1000$ for install which is high in my opinion they are charging u over $1000 to rebuild it trust me it took my 3 hours to rebuild mine and the pan gasket comes in the rebuild kit

U can get new rotors and use your same pads if they are good...is it the by the book correct way..no...but will it cause you any problems no ive done it before and il do it again. Remember the dealer is a business so they are going to tell u things are worse than they are so they can make money. They arnt out there to help u out.

04 Explorer I bought new

Transmission is now sitting apart on a bench at a local transmission rebuilder. Burned clutches, bad servo bores, brass pieces in the oil pan, solenoid pack,etc, etc. ($3000+).
Another rear axle seal is leaking and brakes are bad as well. The last time I had brakes done (Ford Dealer) it was $1200 since the emergency shoes were in pieces and all 4 rotors needed to be replaced even though all 4 wheels still had pad material left. Nobody seems to be able to resurface rotors anymore. I'll just have to spend a weekend replacing brakes as well as the axle seal myself

$3k+ is way too much for a "rebuilt" transmission. You should be able to get a rebuilt tranny for approx $1,600-$2,000 or a "remanufactured" tranny (the better tranny) for the $2300 range and that includes the installation for either tranny. Stay away from Ford dealerships for repairs and you were boned on the $1200 brake job from them. A few months ago I installed new front brake pads and rotors myself, cost for parts was $106 using an online discount coupon($40 off) for Advance Auto Parts. The rears cost less than that and are easier to do than the fronts and the e-brake shoes and hardware kit would run roughly $70-$80 for parts, not counting using any online coupons for them. As another poster said, disc brake pads and their rotors are easy to change, but the e-brake can be a PITA but do-able. You paid an easy $900+ for labor(over what you could have done it for yourself) for that brake job which should have taken a skilled Ford mechanic approx 3 hours to complete and I'm being very gracious on the time/ labor allowance. As far as "turning" aftermarket brake rotors these days, they don't anymore because the rotors are made so thin(Less braking material) as compared to rotors from years/decades past. They are just "throw aways" these days. Good luck with the EX repairs.

Ya man ur definitly getting screwed...1200$ for brakes thats rediculus a 10yr old can do disk brakes...

As for the tranny you can get a fully rebuilt one for 1200$ with a warenty and they want 3000+ they are screwing you...i just rebuilt my tranny and installed it and trust me its not worth 3000$...250$ for the rebuild kit...250$ for servos...$200 for torque converter and 250$ if ur solenoids are even bad... now figure they even charge 1000$ for install which is high in my opinion they are charging u over $1000 to rebuild it trust me it took my 3 hours to rebuild mine and the pan gasket comes in the rebuild kit

did you use a certain rebuild manual?

No i just tore it apart at work and figured it out as i went (i work at a big shop that remanufacters allison truck and industrial trannys so once use built one they all are pretty much the same) i would have either called Transtar or gotten one off ebay though.. i just looked up torque specs online...

It honestly is really easy to rebuild its not as hard as you think il post some pics when i get home of the internals. If ur thinkn about it Pm me

$3000+ does seem high but they had me come in and showed me the broken down transmission and went through all the bad parts and issues. Servo bores were definitely worn, there was a gear assembly missing some brass spacers (pieces were in the pan), rebuilt torque converter, fix any were issues with the valve body, enhancement kit, replace all three bands, etc,etc.

Do off the shelf rebuilds have the servo bores sleeved? Are the valve bodies rebuilt? Do they include a torque converter? Do they include a new solenoid pack? Do they come with a 3 year warranty? I only want to do this once and I have to keep this vehicle another 10 years as long as it cooperates.

The last transmission work I had done on my olds Intrigue was $3200 for a rebuilt gm unit. My sister had her blazer transmission rebuilt for around $3100. Three different cars, three different shops (olds dealer, two independents) and all around the same price. Labor rate around here are well over $100 hr. I don't know see how anyone can get a transmission replaced professionally for under $2500.

Doing it yourself is a whole different matter. Could I have bought a rebuilt unit and installed it myself? Technically yes. I built a cobra replica 15 years ago and have replaced engines and transmissions before. The issue is I was a lot younger then with a healthy back and had time. I am working 6 days a week and I really don't want to cripple my back any worse than it is. Besides changing a transmission in the middle of Minnesota winter in an unheated garage is not my idea of a good time. That means I have to take it in so I'll pay the price and that's my choice.

I just think a transmission should last a lot longer than 90k miles especially if service regularly. At least this one lasted longer than the one in my 04 Ranger. That one went at 35k.

I agree that brakes and suspension pieces are regular wear items. What I think are not regular wear items are cracked transfer case housings, multiple radio speakers, multiple window motors, peeling hood paint, cracked fiberglass body parts (rear hatch window - twice), disintegrated emergency brake shoes and whining differentials. I would make the case for front and rear pinion seals, axles seals, all 4 wheel bearings as well but you could put those down as regular wear items.

Boy it kinda sounds like I am whining which I am. I am sure the Explorers that came off the line in front and behind mine probably have led relatively trouble free miles - my brother had a 98 that went 250k with very little trouble. I still like driving mine and it works well for what we want it to do; I just wish it didnt cost so much to do what it's does.

rebuilt torque converter, >>>>>>>>>>

Do off the shelf rebuilds have the servo bores sleeved? Are the valve bodies rebuilt? Do they include a torque converter? Do they include a new solenoid pack? Do they come with a 3 year warranty? I only want to do this once and I have to keep this vehicle another 10 years as long as it cooperates.

Labor rate around here are well over $100 hr. I don't know see how anyone can get a transmission replaced professionally for under $2500.

I just think a transmission should last a lot longer than 90k miles especially if service regularly. At least this one lasted longer than the one in my 04 Ranger. That one went at 35k.

You should get a "new" torque converter with a rebuilt tranny, not one rebuilt by the tranny shop. This is what I was told by a repair shop owner on torque converters: Torque converters are a sealed unit and need to be split open on a lathe, cleaned out, then rebuilt with new internal parts, then welded back together and re-balanced. He said tranny shops generally do not rebuild them because of the time and work involved(not cost $$$ effective for them), that a company who specializes in rebuilding torque converters does this type of work. The tranny shop just orders new torque converters when needed from a company that does that type of work.

On the type of work or parts installed on a tranny rebuild depends on the condition of the "used parts" coming out of that tranny that are still "useable". On a "rebuilt" tranny, they only replace with new, the internal parts that are no longer useable/shot, but they will re-use old parts that still work, even though that part may have high miles on it. Shops do this to increase profit margins on the sale of a rebuilt tranny. Less parts they replace with new, the more money they make and vice versa. One tranny shop owner told me he makes on average $400 on a rebuilt tranny. That was his net after paying his labor and for the new parts he installed. Cost of an Explorer rebuilt tranny at the time was $1650. New torque converter included in that price. With a "rebuilt" tranny you do not get a tranny that has all new parts installed into it. With a "remanufactured tranny" that costs a little more, you do get a tranny that has been rebuilt with all new parts. Other than the outer casing, it's a new tranny. Hopefully you are getting the "remanufactured tranny" for that price. A 3 year warranty is a decent length warranty compared to most tranny shops at 1 year or 12,000 miles.

For $2500, you should be able to get a "remanufactured" tranny. The "Twin City" area must be the reason for the higher prices up there. I live in New York State just outside of Buffalo, not exactly a cheap state to live in, 2nd or 3rd highest tax rates in the nation, and a friend of mine who owns a 2007 Explorer Sport 4x4, just had a "remanufactured" transmission installed into his vehicle a few months ago for $2300 total cost. His tranny also came with a 3 year warranty.

I agree with you, the tranny's should last longer than they do as long as they are cared for properly. Of all the vehicles I have owned since the 70's. I've had more problems or failures with the Ford transmissions. It seems to be in their nature to fail before their time.

I feel your pain brotha. Ive got almost 9k in repairs into my explorer in 3 years of owning it. All that $9k was between 69k and 113k miles that i currently have on it now. Everything has been replaced, transmission at 88k, all ball joints, all 4 axle seals, pinion seal, all 4 wheel bearings, the ground wire broke inside the boot of the drivers side door rendering all my windows inoperable (just ripped it out and grounded it somewhere else and its been fine for a year lol), Ive done EVERYTHING to this vehicle. All recommended maintenance and more. I JUST paid it off last week and although I have my life savings dumped in to the truck it seems to be doing pretty well now and I am just wondering how long it will last while im making no payments. I am still scared to death of the transmissions in these things. Ive got 25k on my new tranny and Im never going to flush it or do anything. It can rock out until the truck ***** to bed. My last transmission went right after i serviced it to avoid that problem.. Thats my little vent lol

Back