What else can I do to my forn axle? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What else can I do to my forn axle?

Wow, then mine are really over torqued..

I found my notes. I did write down 80 ft lbs..

But, now that I think about it, my specs problably came from the specs for a Dana 35 Jeep rear axle since I was installing a trac lok that came from a jeep into the front of our d35 front.

~Mark
edit: OR, the spec was really 75 Nm, and we assumed ft lbs.. ?? oh well, it held up to truckhaven.. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I would let it go being only 13ft# over spec. Newer vehicles with the tighter tolerances, I might worry. But this axle is essentially "Old Iron".

Edit: Thanks for for the link. It's too late now, but there is a HF three blocks from me. Have to check that out.

Dang it if I didn't find a rough spot! I don't know if it's the reused carrier bearings or in the teeth. In reverse it rubs at the outside edge of the teeth. But I could be persuaded to over look it since I don't use reverse as much.
Forward it looks pretty good.

Here's what the pattern looks like at the rough spot.
Forward, Not as bad feeling.
CIMG0454.jpg

And reverse, really bad feeling.
CIMG0456.jpg

I think I'm going to have to take it apart again. Then I'm going have to carry that carrier on my motorcycle through 15 miles of city traffic.

Isn't if fun when simi-simple tasks take a nose dive?

(Edit)
Took this thing apart again, twice. and still it has the same tight spot. I'm taking it to 4 wheel parts tomorrow.

I bought that dial indicator and went ahead and sprung for an inch pound torque wrench just to make sure. Don't know what I did wrong, but I'm frustrated and the wife is pissed I spent (and going to spend more) money on tools designated for the tree man. I've cancelled the tree man. Turns out he does crappy work anyway.

the wife is pissed I spent (and going to spend more) money on tools designated for the tree man.

You know, I've run into that same problem with my wife before. Don't they understand that those tools were needed?!? I mean, seriously! How can that not make sense?

You know, I've run into that same problem with my wife before. Don't they understand that those tools were needed?!? I mean, seriously! How can that not make sense?

LOL, she still loves me. She is just the rare woman that hates spending money on anything. I am the one that drags her to buy new cloths and things. She just stresses over it. I can say that in the five years of marriage plus 2 years of dating, that my credit score has vastly improved. So I don't give her too much flack.

Well it turns out I didn't have the heart to throw in the towel. I haven't taken it to the shop. I left it alone last night, called the tree man and rescheduled for a couple weeks out. And today took it all the way down again. I am going to replace all the bearings, including the pinion bearings that i already replaced. Carrier bearings are original and probably the culprit. But I still going to start over with all new parts. I am going to also test the carrier run out and the new ring gear. It is possible I got a bad ring. I thing Superior Axle is a good line, but it can happen. the ring and carrier were perfectly clean. So it's either run out, bad ring, bad bearings, or a combo.

Even still. If i had to, i can toss everything together just to get rolling again, and just not use 4WD. I'd still be better off than before, 'cause if I had engaged 4x4 it would have been carnage.

Hilarious, every couple years I drag my wife out and hook her up with a sales lady and tell her to find her clothes.

How is your efan working out. Did you do a build thread?

Hilarious, every couple years I drag my wife out and hook her up with a sales lady and tell her to find her clothes.

How is your efan working out. Did you do a build thread?

E-fan is working well. Actually I had a small emergency a few months ago. There was a bad wreck and I had to take a detour. Fire truck and everything. A couple blocks away i smelled Burning plastic. It registered as the wreck. A few blocks later i had to make a short stop and used resulting rearward momentum (manual tranny) to avoid an old lady running a stop sign. When I did that I saw a puff of smoke from my battery area. Pulled over to find that the 30 amp fuse holder for low speed had melted and caught fire (fan still running) and melted a little of my battery.
I had just emptied everything from my truck to make room for hauling stuff. so I didn't have my extinguisher, that I have carried since my first car fire when i was 17. I finally needed it again, and I didn't have it. I found a clean rag under the seat and put it out.
I disconnected the low speed and went to napa to buy (2) better 40 amp version. But aside from that it's working well. I still need to wire a temp switch as right now it's only setting for low speed is always on, ignition on, or always off. Second lead is still A/C or always on.
I don't remember if I did a how to yet. I'll have to look. I think I might have, Either that or I just added info to the original thread.

Well, it's my case. Warped.

I had the bearing pressed off the carrier and replaced them and the pinion bearings + races. Put it all back together, same tight spot. Checked the run out and got a little less than .03 difference around the ring. I called Summit Racing who sold the gears to me. They found an article stating if the run out is less than .02, replace the ring. If the run out is over .02 replace the case. naturally I'm very disappointed. I'm think I might just go ahead and throw the thing back in the truck so I can roll. I really don't want to though. Winter is coming. 4x4 is really nice in the winter.

Anyone have a known good case for sale?

Back