what else does the keyless entry do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what else does the keyless entry do?

badazz89lx

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EDDIE BAUER
not sure if this is the correct forum(i couldnt find 1 that was appropriate that i was able to post on)..but i wanna know what else it can do besides unlocking my doors...

if it can do more please explain how to do so as well...

thanks alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory system (and most aftermarket) have an alarm with the keyless entry. The factory alarm is really a low-end piece of crap, but it's an alarm nonetheless.

not sure if i have a factory alarm....i lock the doors with the keypad..horn honks..i then proceed to unlock the doors thru the window and open the door and nothing..insert key and it starts right up.....

It sounds like you just have keyless entry. If that's the case all it does is unlock/lock the doors.

well if his description of car is right (the one under his name) it says he's got a buaer, I have an XLT and have an alarm I don't see how he couldn't have one. If the horn honks when you lock the doors on the remote it sounds like you have one to me. Do you even have a remote? or did i read that wrong, if so does the remote have the little panic button? if it does...press it if it sets off the horn n lights...then you've got an alarm!

TJM623 said:
well if his description of car is right (the one under his name) it says he's got a buaer, I have an XLT and have an alarm I don't see how he couldn't have one. If the horn honks when you lock the doors on the remote it sounds like you have one to me. Do you even have a remote? or did i read that wrong, if so does the remote have the little panic button? if it does...press it if it sets off the horn n lights...then you've got an alarm!

yup..keypad for keychain(remote)......hit the panic and the horn and lights go crazy......
but shouldnt the thing go crazy when i double hit the keychain remote to "ARM" the system..then attempt to open the doors etc w/o using the unlock feature on the keypad...i just hit on the door(inside) unlock ,doors unlock and i enter the X and start the vehicle with the key....no bells or whistles etc

ok..now this has turned into a 2 question post..i was referring originally to the #'s on the door but since we are talking about having a factory alarm..id like to know if i have one of these as well and the best way to check it....LOL

Try arming then just pulling the door latch from the inside. It'll unlock as you pull. Like I said, factory alarms suck.

huskyfan23 said:
Try arming then just pulling the door latch from the inside. It'll unlock as you pull. Like I said, factory alarms suck.

never said they didnt..i know in my 94 supercoupe the factory alarm went off when i opened the doors after arming with the keypad..... :)

ok..so what else can the remote entry #'s on the door do besides unlocking?...LOL

I followed you right away.

The numbrers on the door lock all doors
unlock just drivers and then unlock the rest.

As far as I know that is it.
I think third gen can pop the rear glass but I am not sure

ok..i get it to unlock the drivers door...no idea on how to lock the doors though

thanks

badazz89lx said:
yup..keypad for keychain(remote)......hit the panic and the horn and lights go crazy......
but shouldnt the thing go crazy when i double hit the keychain remote to "ARM" the system..then attempt to open the doors etc w/o using the unlock feature on the keypad...i just hit on the door(inside) unlock ,doors unlock and i enter the X and start the vehicle with the key....no bells or whistles etc

ok..now this has turned into a 2 question post..i was referring originally to the #'s on the door but since we are talking about having a factory alarm..id like to know if i have one of these as well and the best way to check it....LOL

When you do the first test, lock the doors with the remote (whether it chirps the horn or not doesn't matter as it still arms the system) and wait two minutes for the light on the dash to go out (starts to blink). THEN hit the unlock button and it should set the alarm off.

Anytime you use a programmed key to start it, it will start right up, whether the alarm is set or has been tripped. The PATS knows that key and will allow it to work.

-Joe

badazz89lx said:
ok..i get it to unlock the drivers door...no idea on how to lock the doors though

thanks

once you hit your code if you hit number 3 after it it unlocks all doors.

also i like the feature hit two buttons and it locks all doors and hit other 2 it turns the outside lights on.

gijoecam said:
When you do the first test, lock the doors with the remote (whether it chirps the horn or not doesn't matter as it still arms the system) and wait two minutes for the light on the dash to go out (starts to blink). THEN hit the unlock button and it should set the alarm off.

Anytime you use a programmed key to start it, it will start right up, whether the alarm is set or has been tripped. The PATS knows that key and will allow it to work.

-Joe

Did what you said and the door opened and no horns or lights going off....
maybe its defective :eek: :confused:

Like david said
push your code then push 3/4 and the rest unlock.

push 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time and every thing locks.

It is hours of fun and entertainment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

yea..i got that figured out..i guess my eddie doesnt have a factory alarm...just the crappy remote keyless entry with the key chain

when i lock my truck with the key fob. then if i unlcok it with the key in the door and hit the unlock button inside the alarm goes off. it wont stop untill i start the truck up.

I thought in my owners manuel it said that the Explorers were equipped with a "passive theft deterrent system." Basically its a kill switch built into the electronics of the car with the "theft" light blinking on the dash when the kill switch is engaged. The chip in the ignition key turns the kill switch off and allows the car to start. Technically an alarm but with no intrusion alarm or horn honking. Thats how I read it. I took it that the horn honking when you locked the doors with the key fob was more for show than anything else.

My 99 EB definately complains when the system is armed, and I try to unlock it using the rocker switch on the inside of the drivers door, even after only having been armed a second.

Also, if one of the doors is open, and you arm the alarm it goes off. At least, mine did.

I'm still looking into setting up an aftermarket system.. Probably easier said than done though. I'm used to installing alarms and keyless entry on vehicles that had nothing to start with. *shrug*

Back