• Total voters

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
What engine would you want in your X and why?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It won;t let me vote, but I'd get a 5.0L V-8 AWD. the engine is a tried and true ford classic and offers the most power of any stock explorer engine (until the 4.6 came out in 2002) The 4 speed auto behind the 5.0L is also stronger then the ford V-6 trannies and that tranny is not known for it's problems (as several other ford trannies are). One last reason is the abundance of parts for that engine. just look to mustang pages and the mods will pop out from anywhere. Who cares if it gets 1 or 2 mpg less then the V-6. it's still worth it in my book! (Too bad they didn;t have V-8 in 95 model year :(

Thats weird that it wont let you vote. I wonder what I did now. O moderator, Help me please.

When a poll is started in a thread other than one of the 2 specified Poll Forums problems will arise. Only some users are able to vote in polls not in the Polls Forums. So now you need a moderator to move this over to the Explorer Related Polls forum.

BTW I would choose the SOHC. I don't tow so I don't need the v8. And the SOHC has enough power to do everything i need it to do.

Alright, just leave it to me to screw something up. This is why I dont like doing mods on my truck without doing some major homework on the forum first. If I don't... I will screw something up for sure. Hell, even if I do some research...

Well... the motor I really would want in the Explorer would be the 4.9L inline-six. But, it would be difficult to fit. Another option might be the old 250cid inline-six, if built up right. But of the three you listed, probably the V8, since you can get lots of parts.

BTW: My only reason for not suggesting the SOHC V-6 is the major problems they are known for. I think the problems were fixed in 2000 so if you get a 2001 or newer the SOHC would be an acceptable choice, but for me it's still the V-8 out front.

Thanks Moderator.

Personally, my vote would be for a 351W (5.8L) that's been bored and stroked to 427 cubic inches by Coast High Performance. I mean how does it get any better than that? Big block displacement in a small-block package that's only like 2 inches wider and taller than the 5.0L that came stock in some Explorers. However, I think that it's more likely that if one of those ever finds its way into my garage, it'll end up in the classic Mustang I don't own... yet. :D

it would be nice to get an intercooled twin turbo setup ont the SOHC V-6. you could easily push 400hp:eek:

but that would cost lots of $$$$

is that possible?

Originally posted by 98FordX24
is that possible?

Almost anything is possable with enough money! lol :bounce:

Very true. But would there be enough room to do all that. For a twin turbo system you would need a pretty big intercooler and there isnt much room under that hood. But damn, That would be sweet, no one would suspect you to have something like that... but then again... look at Troll.

well you dont even really need an intercooler, but if you got one you would want a big one. i'm sure you could find a good spot to mount a decent size intercooler. i have an OHV V-6 and it looks likt there is plenty of room under the hood (especially if i relocated the battery and washer fluid tank and coolant reserve tank).

lol 4.0 TT...I wonder how much it willl cost to build the engine to handle the boost :eek: It might be cheaper to swap the engine with 2JZ-GTE :D
ttengine1.jpg

How about 800+hp?

Originally posted by Kontrol-Trak
lol 4.0 TT...I wonder how much it willl cost to build the engine to handle the boost :eek: It might be cheaper to swap the engine with 2JZ-GTE :D
ttengine1.jpg

How about 800+hp?

Wwaaaaaaiiiiiiittttttt a minute here......that logo on the engine doesn;t look like a ford logo........hmmm...looks more like a 'yota logo to me...maybe it's just the angle or something....:nono:

Originally posted by 95XLT
Wwaaaaaaiiiiiiittttttt a minute here......that logo on the engine doesn;t look like a ford logo........hmmm...looks more like a 'yota logo to me...maybe it's just the angle or something....:nono:
I don't think Ford has ever manufactured an engine with two turbines :p Just slap on one of those carbon fiber "Ford" logos from ebay.

Last edited:

I've enjoyed my 302 '97 Mountaineer. Believe it or not, with a few simple mods that fit my budget, I get better fuel economy on it that I did with my '94 Explorer which my sister now drives. Also, worse come to worse, if I blow this one up, I can either swap out the bad parts from parts laying around my roommate's shop in Vicksburg, or I could just borrow his Canfield-headed 302, which is currently sitting on an engine stand since he's putting a 351W in his '67 Mustang (also EFI). :D

None of those choices for me. I would go with a chevy 350 or 383 stroker. Reason: SM420 tranny would bolt to it and tons of aftermarket stuff for cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Toy.. what

Yes 95XLT, it is a Toyota engine, dont know in with model, but DEFENETLY NOT Ford.
For my engine I would like the 4.0 block converted to diesel, I feel in a truck you need torque, not 1/4 miles performance. Then again everyone must do what they like...

Back