What fluid in 5spd?

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Ok, well I've always heard that the manual transmission uses Mercon ATF. The Haynes manual said that the Mazda transmission needed Mercon type ATF, and the Mitsubishi transmission needed SAE 80W EP gear lubricant. I have the 5 speed trans, so I think it's the M5OD-R1 made by Mazda, correct? When we first bought the truck, my dad was down at the shop draining the trans fluid and it was gear lubricant. Ford told him to use ATF (they didn't look it up or anything). So that's what we've run for the past 2 years or so. What is supposed to be in it?

The other question I have is about a leak between the extension housing and transmission. When we changed my clutch, we removed the extension housing from the trans (it's had a small leak for quite a while) and we literally COVERED everywhere around the edge of the trans with Permatex to seal it. We expected it to be fixed, considering when we pulled off the extension housing, there were only 2 tiny strips of Permatex (or similar) even left on there...and I mean they were TINY! Well, we put it all back together and there is still a leak. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there some type of seal or gasket that is supposed to go there?

Thanks in advance, Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bmxking5 said:
Ok, well I've always heard that the manual transmission uses Mercon ATF. The Haynes manual said that the Mazda transmission needed Mercon type ATF, and the Mitsubishi transmission needed SAE 80W EP gear lubricant. I have the 5 speed trans, so I think it's the M5OD-R1 made by Mazda, correct? When we first bought the truck, my dad was down at the shop draining the trans fluid and it was gear lubricant. Ford told him to use ATF (they didn't look it up or anything). So that's what we've run for the past 2 years or so. What is supposed to be in it?

The other question I have is about a leak between the extension housing and transmission. When we changed my clutch, we removed the extension housing from the trans (it's had a small leak for quite a while) and we literally COVERED everywhere around the edge of the trans with Permatex to seal it. We expected it to be fixed, considering when we pulled off the extension housing, there were only 2 tiny strips of Permatex (or similar) even left on there...and I mean they were TINY! Well, we put it all back together and there is still a leak. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there some type of seal or gasket that is supposed to go there?

Thanks in advance, Bryan

Yep, MOD5-R1, or M5R1

Mecron Dextron II it calls for actually, But they dont make Mercon II anymore, it was replaced with Mercon/Dextron III

The leak might not be a leak. i dunno, when ever i was down there when i was replacing my trannies i would think there was a leak, but it turns out its just from me spilling ATF up there when i would try to drain/fill the tranny while its tucked up in there... so it would pool around the bottom, but RTV should work fine. or any silicone based sealent. From the factory ford only used silicon, so what you did should work...

...hoping someone else will chime in for ya

You guys ran gear oil in it? and it didnt hurt it?

Well, when we bought the truck, we drained the trans and it was gear oil. We called Ford, they said use ATF, so we've used that ever since. Oh, and it's definitely a leak. It's done it for as long as I can remember. We put in gear oil, thinking that maybe it wouldn't leak as much or at all since it's thicker. We really don't know what to use. With both ATF and with gear oil, it still leaks. Since we've put in the gear oil again, it has become harder to shift the gears. I might just get some ATF in the morning and drain out the gear oil. Anyone else wanna chime in?

you definatly want to put ATF Mercon III in there.

RTV to seal the leak, unless its cracked...

The permatex stuff we used IS silicone sealant. I wish I had a picture to show you. The guy who was helping us change the clutch put it on every single place that you could see. There isn't any way he could've put anymore. And he uses Permatex on other makes/models to do similar things and it always works perfectly. I plan on putting in ATF tomorrow.

As far as the fluid goes, I am seeing your tranny will hold 10 quarts for the mazda manual tranny. AMSOIL suggests ATF which supports Mercon.

I think there's a flex plate between the tranny & extension housing. I don't remember though. Can someone confim that? If so is it there?

cincy4point0 said:
As far as the fluid goes, I am seeing your tranny will hold 10 quarts for the mazda manual tranny. AMSOIL suggests ATF which supports Mercon.

ten QUARTS!

haha i dont think its going to fit that much... 5 pints?

2.5 quarts... not sure on the exact amount, but its not that much... 5quarts of AFT should fill the tranny and the transfercase... if you dont spill it anywhere hehe

filling that tranny while its tucked up in there is tedious, even with a bodylift.

i bet if you had a long hose, you could fill it the floor by taking the shifter off. i tried that but my hose wasnt long enough.. .Pain in thE NECK

Make sure you use Synthetic ATF. i think the regular stuff cooks up too quick in that tranny.

I used Castrol Dexron III Mercon, because my dad was already at work, the fluid in the trans was already drained, and my mom needed her's in forty five minutes. So far it seems to shift much better. I bought four quarts, used almost three. Actually there is only 2.5 quarts in the tranny...the rest is on the driveway right now. :rolleyes: :D It's truely a pain in the arse to fill that thing, when you have to try and stick the hose in the bottle, hold the bottle at the same time, and use the suction gun thing to suck it up all at the same time. I don't think it's even possible to not spill any on the driveway with only one person trying to do it. :eek:

http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=22072

This is the stuff that we used to seal it up. It says transmission pans as one of the suggested applications. Does anyone think that that stuff isn't holding up to it? I saw that ATF was all around the seam of the transmission and extension housing (where the leak has been). Also, I forgot to mention that I've noticed spots all on my rear bumper and back hatch, which I believe is ATF. It's just started showing up there the past 3-4 weeks, but the leak has been there for MUCH longer. Like I said before, there were only two tiny slivers of RTV stuff left on the back of the transmission. It was leaking as bad with that much as it is with the back of it COVERED in that Permatex. And it's been leaking more over the past 3-4 weeks. I checked all of the other bolts, and everything seems to be tight, as well as the things plugged into it. It could possibly be something that is on the top of the trans that's right on or next to that seam (since there's ATF on both sides of the trans). Any help is appreciated. :(

bmxking5 said:
http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=22072

This is the stuff that we used to seal it up. It says transmission pans as one of the suggested applications. Does anyone think that that stuff isn't holding up to it? I saw that ATF was all around the seam of the transmission and extension housing (where the leak has been). Also, I forgot to mention that I've noticed spots all on my rear bumper and back hatch, which I believe is ATF. It's just started showing up there the past 3-4 weeks, but the leak has been there for MUCH longer. Like I said before, there were only two tiny slivers of RTV stuff left on the back of the transmission. It was leaking as bad with that much as it is with the back of it COVERED in that Permatex. And it's been leaking more over the past 3-4 weeks. I checked all of the other bolts, and everything seems to be tight, as well as the things plugged into it. It could possibly be something that is on the top of the trans that's right on or next to that seam (since there's ATF on both sides of the trans). Any help is appreciated. :(

what about the rubber plugs on the shift rails? has the tranny ever been removed before your recently clutch job? The Rubber plugs up top are the notorious ones you hear about. I believe the M5R2's have the same problem.

My remanufactored one actually came with those 3 points all welded shut. My stock somebody had sealed up with some metal caps.

No, as far as I know the tranny hasn't been pulled. Although when we were taking it out, the guy helping us (Darren - our mechanic and also the former owner of the Xploder) said that he thought it had been pulled before. Darren had never pulled it, but then again he only used it as a hunting/wheeling truck, so he didn't put many miles on it. Before that, there was only one owner (thanks Xkid for the CarFax :D), and I'm not sure what they did.
Well, I just saw this write up: http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/manual.html

He said that the transmission had been whining...MINE IS DOING THAT. I can't believe I've forgotten about this thing. Thanks for the reminder Creager. :) I'm going to continue reading this..but...Does the transmission have to be pulled to do this? Please say NO! :(

EDIT: Nevermind...Just read that you can pull the metal plate off the floor and it's easily accessible. I might go buy these in a day or two and install them, whether they need to be installed again.

Creager said:
ten QUARTS!

haha i dont think its going to fit that much... 5 pints?

2.5 quarts... not sure on the exact amount, but its not that much... 5quarts of AFT should fill the tranny and the transfercase... if you dont spill it anywhere hehe

filling that tranny while its tucked up in there is tedious, even with a bodylift.

i bet if you had a long hose, you could fill it the floor by taking the shifter off. i tried that but my hose wasnt long enough.. .Pain in thE NECK

Make sure you use Synthetic ATF. i think the regular stuff cooks up too quick in that tranny.
Yeah you are right, I think I was tired when I didnt read that he has a manual. lol Yeah the manual actually takes 5.5 pints, so you are right, my fault. ;)

cincy4point0 said:
Yeah you are right, I think I was tired when I didnt read that he has a manual. lol Yeah the manual actually takes 5.5 pints, so you are right, my fault. ;)

oh no problem... i didnt mean to come off as an @hole

i did the same thing when i went to change my tranny fluid for the first time ever. Except i think i used all 10 quarts... i spilled most of it on the garage floor haha trying to get it in that thing.

Well, I got back from Napa. The price was outrageous for those little metal plugs! I had to pay 91 cents for all three of them! :eek: :p Last night, I pulled up the front carpet, etc and when I get back home in a little bit, I'll install them. Hopefully, this will solve my problem. :)

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. RP is probably even better from what I've heard. I use a "suction gun" that I bought from harbor freight for $5 to fill the tranny on my 5spd-- it's very easy to use and it's handy to drain the diffs without removing the cover too (I know it's best to remove the cover, but sometimes ya have to go for convenience).

As for your leak, if it turns out not to be the plugs, then there's a special kind of RTV available from Chrysler/Dodge dealers that is specifically designed to cure and hold up in contact with ATF. I guess some of the detergents in ATF can eat through other silicones. I used the stuff to form a gasket on my wife's leaky Town & Country transmission pan and it has held up for about 7 months now.

I recall my drain plug on my new tranny giving me problems. For some reason it would have a very slow, small leak comming out the bottom of it (it wasnt to the extreme you were talking: ATF on the back bumper) but it would pool around that lil dip on the lowest past of the tranny.

I used Threadlocker and its fixed the problem since... i have used Teflon tape, But i've heard you shouldnt...

Well, I know that it's atleast leaking from those plugs, possibly other places, but definitely the plugs. In the write-up, it said pull out the plugs with vise grips. Well, mine were bad enough that I was able to just use a screw driver and my fingers to pull it out. :eek: I put in the metal plugs, but since there was a "hump" on the top of the trans, I wasn't able to get ANY of them to go in completely straight. Now it's leaking even worse. I pulled everything out again, including the console, and now have been able to get them a bit more straight, but still not perfect. Does anyone know how far these are supposed to go in? PLEASE...if any has done this before, please let me know how far it goes in. My truck is stripped down right now, and I don't know how far they need to be in. If I don't get any responses, I guess I'll put some RTV around those plugs (just a bit) to be sure that it's plugged this time. Any help is appreciated.

You think Mobil1 is good, you should give amsoil a try sometime. ;)

And that suction gun, I think thats what I need to get to drain my front diff so I dont have to take it out, it looks like a PITA! I need to check into getting one.
Brock94 said:
I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. RP is probably even better from what I've heard. I use a "suction gun" that I bought from harbor freight for $5 to fill the tranny on my 5spd-- it's very easy to use and it's handy to drain the diffs without removing the cover too (I know it's best to remove the cover, but sometimes ya have to go for convenience).

As for your leak, if it turns out not to be the plugs, then there's a special kind of RTV available from Chrysler/Dodge dealers that is specifically designed to cure and hold up in contact with ATF. I guess some of the detergents in ATF can eat through other silicones. I used the stuff to form a gasket on my wife's leaky Town & Country transmission pan and it has held up for about 7 months now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back