What Ford SHOULD have done with the 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Ford SHOULD have done with the 2016 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I have noticed a number of 2016 Ford Edge cars around town. Personally, I think the front of the Edge looks WAY better than the front of the 2016 Explorer. The grille, and the driving lamps are pretty sweet on the Edge. Anyone else concur?

2016-Ford-Edge.gif

2016-Ford-Explorer-28.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if they did that then what would they sell in 2017 or 18. I would bet the next refresh looks very similar to the edge as it seems to be where ford is headed. Along with sync 3 and the new front, it will bring the masses.

I personally prefer the look of the Explorer. More 'truck like' whereas the Edge looks more like the cars that Ford puts out.
Also, please try and keep the pictures to around 800 X 600 so we don't have to scroll L/R. Thanks.

Peter

I like the Explorer look as is. If I wanted an Edge, I would have bought one.

If Ford wants to keep any DNA of the older Explorers, they need to keep that same overall grill and headlight set up. I personally don't like the front of the Edge. The leaning of the grill and the way it just goes in and out doesn't work on such a big car in my opinion. The Explorer looks fine the way it is now and the refresh really impressed me.

Hopefully they redesign it with reflectors again and that the new platform will be lighter because the Explorer is based on an outdated Volvo platform.

I personally prefer the look of the Explorer. More 'truck like' whereas the Edge looks more like the cars that Ford puts out.
Also, please try and keep the pictures to around 800 X 600 so we don't have to scroll L/R. Thanks.

Peter
vbulletin has settings that resize the photo to the admin specs. Apparently they have not been set.

since the edge lives off the fuzion platform, and the explorer off the taurus - I think the design cues make all sorts of sense.

but following on - what ford should have done lines.

1) power lift gate and remote start should have been standard across the line
2) should have tacked 3-5 inches on the rear, or perhaps 2 to the wheel base, and 3 to the rear - for more class standard room (comparing to say the acadia/enclave, pathfinder etc. more so to phase in where the flex leaves.
3) Option for windows coated in 3M heat rejecting window film (they have a tint film that even clean rejects all IR and most UV light thus reducing interior temps significantly)
4) LED exterior lights all around - standard (IE replace the puddle lights, the fogs)
5) Option for the sport handling package on all models

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Another nice thing would be if Ford would make the Wheel-wells slightly larger so we could fit larger diameter tires.

I put a 2.75" lift on my 2015 Sport and can't even put 60's because of the small wheel-wells.

Honestly I kind of prefer the look of my 15 that I just got about two months ago. I think the 16 looks nice though. I feel if they were going to make a change in the design of the 16, they should have made more obvious changes all over the vehicle. Except for the front, the rest of the 16 looks pretty much like the 15 with only very minor barely noticeable changes. That body style has been around since 2011 so actually wasn't it time for a redesign of the whole vehicle style?

Not to change the subject, but OKExplorerSport, how did you raise your 15 Sport 2.75 inches. I thought you can't raise the 11-15 body style? I just had to ask that. Thanks.

Honestly I kind of prefer the look of my 15 that I just got about two months ago. I think the 16 looks nice though. I feel if they were going to make a change in the design of the 16, they should have made more obvious changes all over the vehicle. Except for the front, the rest of the 16 looks pretty much like the 15 with only very minor barely noticeable changes. That body style has been around since 2011 so actually wasn't it time for a redesign of the whole vehicle style?

Not to change the subject, but OKExplorerSport, how did you raise your 15 Sport 2.75 inches. I thought you can't raise the 11-15 body style? I just had to ask that. Thanks.
Check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391685

Peter

since the edge lives off the fuzion platform, and the explorer off the taurus - I think the design cues make all sorts of sense.

but following on - what ford should have done lines.

1) power lift gate and remote start should have been standard across the line
2) should have tacked 3-5 inches on the rear, or perhaps 2 to the wheel base, and 3 to the rear - for more class standard room (comparing to say the acadia/enclave, pathfinder etc. more so to phase in where the flex leaves.
3) Option for windows coated in 3M heat rejecting window film (they have a tint film that even clean rejects all IR and most UV light thus reducing interior temps significantly)
4) LED exterior lights all around - standard (IE replace the puddle lights, the fogs)
5) Option for the sport handling package on all models

I'm sure I'll think of more.
Remote Start IS on all 5th Gen. Explorers. I assume it's on the 2016 the same way. You just have to get your keys and take it to the dealer to have it activated.

I'm glad I don't have those LEDs around my headlights. I hate those things.

Thanks peterk9 for the link.

Also, they should make an option for a column mounted shifter. If they can do it in the police utility, they clearly have a platform for it so it shouldn't be too difficult to add to the civilian EX as an option.

Ford marketing wants the Edge to have absolutely nothing to do with the Explorer in terms of looks or functionality. Its too completely different buyers so you will not likely see the two becoming similar in appearance.

It was explained to me that the separation is very intentional.

Their marketing people are pretty bright and have lots of research to back up their ideas.

Ford marketing wants the Edge to have absolutely nothing to do with the Explorer in terms of looks or functionality. Its too completely different buyers so you will not likely see the two becoming similar in appearance.

It was explained to me that the separation is very intentional.

Their marketing people are pretty bright and have lots of research to back up their ideas.
Maybe, but their design people suffer from lack of innovation.

Maybe, but their design people suffer from lack of innovation.
Keep in mind that the 2016 is just a 'refresh', a 'redesign' is apparently not far off. Also, why mess around with a top selling vehicle?

Peter

My neighbor has an Edge and to me it looks like a little wienie car! I'd never buy one.

And what they need to do to the Explorer is widen the back cargo area so you can lay a golf bag across it, or load wider materials. For as big as the Explorer is, the cargo area is a travesty.

Also, they should make an option for a column mounted shifter. If they can do it in the police utility, they clearly have a platform for it so it shouldn't be too difficult to add to the civilian EX as an option.

I agree with this. I miss the feeling of having the feel of a truck with a column mounted shifter. I want more space on the center console for other things, and just make paddle shifters standard on tow package models and sport models. They could do this or they can do the buttons for changing gears like they did with the Lincolns. Although, a button is waaaayyy too easy to press and they have already had problems with people turning on and off their vehicles on the Lincoln's while they are driving due to the button locations. So many they shouldn't use buttons, but it'd be so nice to free up that center console area somehow. However, I doubt a center console design would go into the civilian Explorers.

If a redesign is coming soon, I'm hoping for a lighter weight Explorer with a 10-speed automatic. Move it to a fully aluminum space frame. They make so much money on the Explorer, I think it'd be worth that transition. Although, I am highly betting the next Explorer will be based on a reinforced Fusion platform.

Also, they need to upgrade those U-Joints, half-shafts in the redesign so we can actually have a fully powered Ford Explorer Sport/ Platinum Ecoboost engine! I test drove two Explorer Sports in a test drive and they honestly don't feel that much quicker. Along with the fake engine noise and lack of any sound from the turbos, compared to my father's F-150 Supercrew, it's just not fast and mean enough. This is really important. I want that 420 foot pounds of torque!

Also, towing capacity definitely needs to be increased. It's a shame a Dodge Durango and Jeep Cherokee which are both unibody are actually able to tow more. It's weird that the V6 3.5L N/A can tow the same as the V6 3.5L turbo.

Also, the Platinum definitely needs something like magneride suspension tuned for a much more luxurious ride. The current design for the Platinum is nice but it's not enough "luxury" to justify it. Still that water down approach Ford always does between Lincoln and Ford.

LED lights instead of the filament bulbs. In both exterior and interior and I mean that white color or 4300K color, just like they do in the Chrysler minivans. It allows for so much more visibility, especially when I changed my dome lights from the yellow filament bulbs to the white leds. That means LED backlit LCD screens or LED screens entirely. Whichever one is more reliable.

The FWD bais doesn't really bother me that much, but I really do wish I could do a burnout once in a while, I think FWD bias should stay based on the fact that it's way more functional and safer, and they probably won't even consider moving it to RWD.

Anybody agree with the above comments?

I'd definitely be in the market when the redesign comes, I was considering upgrading now to the Plat but the platform is just too similar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Start/Stop button on my MKT is in the same place it was on my 2011 Explorer. As for the shifter, I prefer the one we have now. I find that I'm usually resting my right hand on it.;)

Peter

Back