• Register Today It's free!

what gears?????help!!!

dusper4

Reaction score
City, State
celina, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl 4x4
ok i have a 92 ex on 33's i currently have the 3.73 ls rearend. do i want to regear to 4.10's or 4.56's? i dont offroad alot just mainly street use so i am looking for gas milage and better accelleration. i do mostly city driving but the occasional highway as well. i did search but didnt find anything really helpful. thx in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"so i am looking for gas milage and better accelleration"

You don't get both. If you want higher gearing on the road for better mileage then go 4.10. For better acceleration go with 4.56. If you've already got 3.73s then paying the $$$$ to regear both axles to 4.10 seems to be a lot of cash for a minor change. 4.0 OHV engines need to go to 4.56 anyway once the tires get to 33". If you are not satisfied now with your 3.73, go to 4.56.

GJarrett said:
"so i am looking for gas milage and better accelleration"

You don't get both. If you want higher gearing on the road for better mileage then go 4.10. For better acceleration go with 4.56. If you've already got 3.73s then paying the $$$$ to regear both axles to 4.10 seems to be a lot of cash for a minor change. 4.0 OHV engines need to go to 4.56 anyway once the tires get to 33". If you are not satisfied now with your 3.73, go to 4.56.

I have a stock 2002 with 3.73 rear end. The tire sizes is 235/75 R16, would a gear change give me better gas mileage? Or the higher gears just for the big tires?
Thanks

trucku said:
I have a stock 2002 with 3.73 rear end. The tire sizes is 235/75 R16, would a gear change give me better gas mileage? Or the higher gears just for the big tires?
Thanks

just for bigger tires.......you will spend 1500 bucks for a whole lot of nothing if you try to regear

For that much I can just pay for the gas..LOL..

The is off topic but might help the orgional poster. Where can someone find 5.13 gears? I have seen 4.56's all day long but no 5.13's. The reason it might benifit the otgional poster is he could get the 4.56's he need there.

Back