• Register Today It's free!

what happended to my engine?

dennit469

Reaction score
City, State
aiken, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport 4.0L v6 SOHC
was pulling out of gas station and it sounded like a "clank crack ram knock boom", engine cut off,
when i turn the starter over its like theres no compression as if the starter is just spinning not turning over anything, although the serpantine belt is moving with the starter turning over, pulled off the oil cap and the timeing chain is moving also, its just like not having any spark plugs in and turning the motor over, no compression at all, i cant figure out the problem, got the car towed back to my house and deciding wwhat i want to do with it.....please let me know if you might have a clue to what the prblem could be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a compression tester to know if your engine has compression or not.

So your engine cranks but wont start?
What kind of noises does it make when you try and start it?
Did you put the right kind of fuel in it?
Mileage?

The more info we can get the better.

it cranks like as if there were no spark plugs in it, put in 93 octane at the BP, and just turned to 95,000 miles, oil changed every 5,000 since ive had it, owned by an old lady in rich neighborhood before me so im sure she had the oil and other things changed on schedule also

and it doesnt make any odd noises, doesnt have the car moving jerk of a normal start, just like its no spark plugs, thats the best way i cna describe it, there were no symptoms of anything either, just -bam!- happened

it cranks like as if there were no spark plugs in it, put in 93 octane at the BP, and just turned to 95,000 miles, oil changed every 5,000 since ive had it, owned by an old lady in rich neighborhood before me so im sure she had the oil and other things changed on schedule also

There is no reason to run 93 octane in a stock explorer. High octane gas is for high compression engines which the explorer is definitely not high compression. Only run 87, no reason to run anything else.

and it doesnt make any odd noises, doesnt have the car moving jerk of a normal start, just like its no spark plugs, thats the best way i cna describe it, there were no symptoms of anything either, just -bam!- happened

Are the spark plugs wet?
Did you do a compression test?

Still need more info.

spark plugs are wet, have gas on them, and where can i get a compression test done?

spark plugs are wet, have gas on them, and where can i get a compression test done?

I think your timing chain might of broke. How many miles are on it?

A compression test is done with a gauge that screws into the spark plug hole.

I think Jl is right. If the timing chain broke your valves could be sitting in a open type position so there isn't compression I would think. Good call Jl, impressive trouble shooting skillz!

I think Jl is right. If the timing chain broke your valves could be sitting in a open type position so there isn't compression I would think. Good call Jl, impressive trouble shooting skillz!

Thanks man!

Timing belt just broke on my girlfriends car a few months ago. I also just did a timing belt on my sisters car as well. Definitely sounds like that's the problem.

thats really the only thing ive narrowed it down to, i was told the sohc had 1 really long timing chain in it, or 2 really long one, idk wither way the one that i can see when out cap is removed still turns...

I believe there are 2 chains, ne front and one rear, and I think its the rear one that usually fails. I've never had, or worked on a SOHC but I'm pretty sure I read that on this forum.

^ That suuuuuuuuuuuucks. lol.

Hope your fix/sale goes well man.

yea i was told the one in the back fails, am i better off buying a new engine from junkyard, i got a junkyard local thats huge, ive gone there for random parts i need and they alwys have it, any idea on how much money this is to fix?

If you get a later year motor they redesigned the tensioners.

i would hope so, i always heard the sohc are the good engines? dont get me wrong its a good, pretty powerful 6 cylinder engine, i think it would be pretty BA in a smaller lighter car

Its an ok engine after they fixed the tensioner problem. Decent power, decent gas mileage, reliable with new tensioners.

It has 4 Timing Chains

Fr Dr side (probably the one ur seeing)
Rr Pass side
Main Timing chain fr center
small lower chain also in front:(

i would hope so, i always heard the sohc are the good engines? dont get me wrong its a good, pretty powerful 6 cylinder engine, i think it would be pretty BA in a smaller lighter car

Like anything in the automotive world the first few years of a new design are going to have problems. The OHV's are bulletproof since it is such an old design but the SOHC has considerably more power....

Back