What happened to the Explorer Forum app? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

What happened to the Explorer Forum app?

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer NBX 4.6 4x4
I have the Explorer Forum app on my phone, but it seems to have disappeared from Google play so I can't share it with others... What happened to the app?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
See attached photo

Screenshot_20220827-000531_Chrome.jpg

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
I see it says install the app at the bottom. If I go to the site, mine does not have that. I assume it's because I already have the app. However, when I try to find the app in the play store, it basically says it doesn't exist. It doesn't show in the store at all no matter what. No other app I have ever had does this. It looks like the app simply doesn't exist, but I know it does (or did?) because I have it. Is this just some strange phenomenon that only I am experiencing? If you click the "Install the app" thing does it even do anything? I simply want to know what's going on because I wanted to share the app, but apparently I've slipped into a crazy alternate universe where it doesn't exist (cue twilight zone music).

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I see it says install the app at the bottom. If I go to the site, mine does not have that. I assume it's because I already have the app. However, when I try to find the app in the play store, it basically says it doesn't exist. It doesn't show in the store at all no matter what. No other app I have ever had does this. It looks like the app simply doesn't exist, but I know it does (or did?) because I have it. Is this just some strange phenomenon that only I am experiencing? If you click the "Install the app" thing does it even do anything? I simply want to know what's going on because I wanted to share the app, but apparently I've slipped into a crazy alternate universe where it doesn't exist (cue twilight zone music).
When I tapped install the app, I now have the same app that is in your video. The link in the menu also disappeared.

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok, so I assume that without the app, it will also magically reappear in the play store as well? I really just want some type of way to send a link or somehow share the app easily with my friends. I guess I could send them the site link and tell them to go to install from menu, but I was hoping for something more direct. But can anyone confirm it is on Google play?

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I didn't see it on Google play, can't confirm or deny.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Wouldn’t it be easier to send a web link than an app they’d need to download first?

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
Wouldn’t it be easier to send a web link than an app they’d need to download first?
I actually prefer the app because it is just much easier and quicker to just tap the icon and I'm immediately here. The app file is also a very small download. I get what you're saying though and yeah it is starting to look like it would be easier to do that.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Here is an explanation of the "PWA" ,Progressive Web App, on Xenforo's website. This forum runs on Xenforo software.

It's definitely not an ideal setup, but it's all they offer.

DemonMudder

Redneck Fixin'
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 C1500 Extended Cab
My phone actually let me download the site as an app from the browser, was just a random pop up, so I have a shortcut for it on the homescreen, this and a gmt400 forum, though this is the only one that gives me notifications. It's done it with other shop sites I visit like carid too, don't think it's technically the app, but it works

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mine says in the app info that it was downloaded directly from the Google play store. Thus I was just trying to find out if it can be downloaded from the play store, before I tell my friends, hey just download it from the play store, lol. But it appears that it doesn't exist in the play store, so the only options are to download it from the site, or save to home (like an app) or install app via Google chrome page options menu. Thanks for the help guys.

DemonMudder

Redneck Fixin'
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 C1500 Extended Cab
Mine says in the app info that it was downloaded directly from the Google play store. Thus I was just trying to find out if it can be downloaded from the play store, before I tell my friends, hey just download it from the play store, lol. But it appears that it doesn't exist in the play store, so the only options are to download it from the site, or save to home (like an app) or install app via Google chrome page options menu. Thanks for the help guys.
Yeah, mines just saved to home, so it works like an app, but still technically the browser. But the two work just fine for everything I need, at least this one gives notifications though lol
Ain't seen nothing 'bout installing from the play store, that's news to me, mine don't even show it

Screenshot_20220828-235041_Samsung Experience Home.jpg