What is a blackout stripe tape on our Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is a blackout stripe tape on our Explorer?

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Saw this on Ebay and checked part number F3TZ-7827742-AJ and it says it is something for the Explorer. Where exactly does it go?

This one apparently goes with it
F3TZ-7827742-AJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd assume the stripe that goes from top edge of fender, all the way across the sides.

stripe.jpg

I'd assume the stripe that goes from top edge of fender, all the way across the sides.

View attachment 424954
Thanks - checked but the tape stripe kit for that is a different part and indicator on the ford diagram. Those come three parts...left, right and liftgate. This appears to be something else. .......

Looks kinda like it matches the profile of the area between the middle and rear side windows.

Looks kinda like it matches the profile of the area between the middle and rear side windows.
Its strange and interesting... I cannot seem to understand where or what it was used for....

In between the doors??
dont mean to steal the thunder of tinman_72 but iirc between the front and rear doors, theres also a black stripe painted on the door itself, and in between the doors when you open it up youll see the black stripe on the inside, which looks similiar to the photos on the ebay listing if you open the front and resr doors you should see a black stripe down so its not white between the black door sides (idk if your limited has it but i think my xlt does)

edit: heres a photo

another edit: more photos added
FFD4238D-1E16-467E-9938-0B3BD8F7373D.jpeg 8C3DF39C-BF0A-4D1E-B6A1-6B4D83F28334.jpeg 92ED19EA-0584-4537-BAEA-885B592D9554.jpeg

dont mean to steal the thunder of tinman_72 but iirc between the front and rear doors, theres also a black stripe painted on the door itself, and in between the doors when you open it up youll see the black stripe on the inside, which looks similiar to the photos on the ebay listing if you open the front and resr doors you should see a black stripe down so its not white between the black door sides (idk if your limited has it but i think my xlt does)

edit: heres a photo

View attachment 425187
Yes, just checked my Pearl White Limited and there indeed is a black sticker there in that gap between the doors It matches the one on the link I posted about. Never realized that was a sticker / decal. Clever way of Ford dealing with the fact that they could not have body color showing in the gap between doors.

Thanks for helping to solve this.

no problem! happy to help! but the real credit goes to tinman, because when that eas pointed out i remembered that on mine! and excuse my faded trim 😛 (and my bad spelling/grammar)

Mine has the sticker to

Saw this on Ebay and checked part number F3TZ-7827742-AJ and it says it is something for the Explorer. Where exactly does it go?

This one apparently goes with it
F3TZ-7827742-AJ
I would guess on the back hatch edges or exterior door frames. Mine was worn but I got a chemical guys plastic restorer and it is pretty good now.

I would guess on the back hatch edges or exterior door frames. Mine was worn but I got a chemical guys plastic restorer and it is pretty good now.
It’s the sticker that goes on the B pillar behind the seam of the two doors

Back