• Register Today It's free!

What is a normal temp ?

live2_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a question for those in the know. What is considered a normal temp for an explorer? Now for the background, some time ago my temp guage started moving around all over the place, it would go from the n in normal all the way up to the l in normal and back again. Sometimes it would do this in 20 seconds or so at other times slower. I flushed the rad and cooling system, no change. I replaced the thermostat, and rad cap no change. Replaced the temp sending unit(for the gauge) and the temp sending unit for the computer, no change. I just replaced the factory gauge and sending unit with an aftermarket one and it shows MUCH less fluctuation but still some needle movement. The temp goes from about 195 to just about 205, Is this considered normal or not. I am running out of things to try. There is no sign of oil in the coolant, no sign of coolant loss, no sign of anything wierd on the spark plugs either. The only thing I have noticed is the fan clutch does not seem to stiffen up very much as the engine heats up. It will continue to spin for a few seconds after the engine is shut off. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry to be so long winded but at least this way you have all the facts.
Help please
Glen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your normal at 205 the t-stat is fully open

So nothing to worry about then?, just leave it alone?
Glen

IMO yep. others may chime in, your running normal temps

An eleven year-old mechanical fan clutch? Depending on how many miles the fan clutch currently has been through, I would be inclined to replace it.

performancenut said:
An eleven year-old mechanical fan clutch? Depending on how many miles the fan clutch currently has been through, I would be inclined to replace it.

Screw that and go electric! Get mileage and horsepower! A+

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
Screw that and go electric! Get mileage and horsepower! A+

-Drew

Well, electric has some advantages as pointed out, but also some disadvantages such as additional load on the electrical system, cost, and perhaps a debatable decreased cooling efficiency. Many times electrical problems are magnified by "going electric", such as alternator, battery, and wiring issues. So, he will need to search and carefully consider this concept as it applies to his situation.

Back