What is an AXOD? Lots of 5.0 swap ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is an AXOD? Lots of 5.0 swap ??

I am gathering parts and equipment for my 5.0 swap.
I purchased a 1986 5.0 with and AXOD tranny from a Lincoln Towncar.
I will be replacing the 4.O and A4LD in my 1991 4 door explorer.

What is an AXOD?
The guy said it is a 4 speed electronic shift tranny.
Is this going to be a problem?
Does the explorer have and electronically shifted tranny?
I also have the manual transfer case. I think it is a 1354 BW? Is that correct?
Does Advance Adapters make a kit to bolt this transfer case to my AXOD tranny?

My engine comes complete with all accessories, computer and wiring harness.

Is the accessories package on the Lincoln town car a good one for this swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion, YES!
Use a non-electronic AOD, not sure what you will need for exact parts but the the is no computer hookup to the non-electronic type.

Where to get one is another story.

How about a NV4500 5-speed from a Dodge.

Good Luck,

An AXOD is actually a tranny found in Tauruses. The 'X' refers to transaxle, there is no way you have an AXOD. It will be an AOD, the AODE's were not used until '91 Towncars with 4.6L's

AXOD is a FWD drive transmission found in a ford tarus behind a 3.0L V6. (as speedfreak said)
The guy obviously does not know what he's talking about. The Only AUTO trans that came behind a Lincoln Town Car 5.0 would be an AOD. (its non-electric) (TV linkage controlled)

Hammer, is the explorer going to be a trail rig only? The reason I ask is; have you considered emission regualtions for putting a 86 engine in a 91 truck?

Also, Is the 5.0 an H.O. or non H.O? non-H.O. models were only 160 h.p. (I beleive)

If you do use this engine you'll definately want to convert it from Speed Density to MASS AIR FLOW.......found on later model 5.0's.

The explorer has a computer controlled 3-4 shift and OD tranny.
Advance Adapters does make an Adapter to mate your AOD to a Borg Warner 1354 T/C......which is what you have.........and allows the original drivelines to be used.

Good Luck
Al

You guys Rock!
I have been following all of your posts on your individual build ups and I am glad you guys took the time to help a brotha out.
I thought it was an AOD.

The truck is going to be retired to the trails only more than likely. I am sure that if I can get the emissions to come in check with a 4.0 that they would not know the difference, but I am not counting on it.
The engine I beleive said 5.0 HO on it. Not too sure. I plan on doing a complete engine rebuild on on it. If it is not HO I will change it out.

That brings up some more questions:
If it is not HO and I buy the new mas air flow how does that affect the computer?
Also what about borring the block .30 over?
A new cam?
Ballance and blueprint the motor?
GT 40 heads and intake?
Etc. Etc

Does anyone know about the Accesories? Are they the short type on this motor? Probabally not since the towncar is a boat.

One last question, will my collom shift hook up to this tranny and what is the best choice for hooking up the throttle?

Thanks again for all the help!

First, the engine will be a non H.O. speed density, batch fire computer system. You will find the upper intake, throttle body and cam different from the H.O. engines. Remove the trim plate from the upper intake, if there is an HO cast on to the intake, opposite the throttle body end, then you have an H.O. style engine.Dead Link Removed

Second, the block is the same, I am sure the heads are the same but please don't quote me on that. So the modifications you are thinking of will work fine.

Third, the computer info is alot to get into but the skinny is MAS adapts to modifications while speed density does not. If you do swap to MAS then you will need the computer and harness to make it work. The Crown Vic harness and computer will not work.

Fourth, the accessories on the Crown Vic are not the short style. The short style only comes on 94-95 Mustang, 91-93 T-bird Cougar and 96-2001 Explorer's. The Explorer set up is by far the shortest, the engine compartment is the same length 91 thru 99 and there was enough room for the hugh rad and a clutch fan.

Here is a pic showing the different length water pumps. The shorter one is a 95 Mustang and the long one is an 89 Truck (identical to passenger car style except reversed water passages)Dead Link Removed

One other thing to note is that the pumps hadd thier backing on the same plane. The timing cover is also shorter making a very tight package.

Thanks Speedfreak!
I cant wait to get into this thing.
I am going to buy a engine stand this weekend and get the engine and tranny home and packed away. In the meantime I will start buying parts.
I look forward to reading progress reports on all the 5.0 convertions that are currently in place.
Thanks for the help:D

I know this is a old thread, but maybe somebody may respond.

This is about the AXOD in Lincoln.. I have been doing some research, since my friends AXOD is shot. It appeears they did use a AXOD in the Lincoln Continental. Weird!!!, I don;t see how they could use a transaxle on a RWD lincoln. Do you think they are interchangeable, or is it a special application.

88 and newer Continental's are front wheel drive and based on the Taurus/Sable platfrom.

Didn't know that! I thought all Lincolns were RWD and used about the same drivetrain, like the Crown Vic. I learn something new everyday here.

Back