What is everyone paying for their 16 Explorer's? I just put a deposit down. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is everyone paying for their 16 Explorer's? I just put a deposit down.

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hi. I just came back from dealership. I presented my TrueCar certificate and the salesperson / manager honored it. It is a 49K+ Ford Explorer Sport with 401A package and some other smaller packages. I got a $4,686 off MSRP so the selling price was 44K+, all fees included except for tax and registration. I declined Auto cruise control package as I want to control the acceleration and breaking manually. I also declined a sun roof as I am leasing 2014 XLT now and barely open it up, especially in the winter, spring times. I put down a deposit, $500 with credit card, as they did not have an Explorer to my specifications but will try to find it and if not, they will place an order for it and will still honor the discount. I test drove Explorer Sport and I really felt the difference in acceleration in 16 Sport and my currently leased Explorer XLT. What kind of deals are you guys getting for your 2016 Ford Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pay more then invoice, you paid too much before rebates, simple as that. And although you may not want the moonroof, I'd reconsider as it is a much more desired feature (popularity wise) when you go to sell or trade it in.

Build it on NADA and see how your price compares.

I'm in the middle of working out a deal on a 2016 Sport with the 401A group and dual moonroof at my local Ford dealer-- The price will be right around 46k-47k..

If you pay more then invoice, you paid too much before rebates, simple as that. And although you may not want the moonroof, I'd reconsider as it is a much more desired feature (popularity wise) when you go to sell or trade it in.

Build it on NADA and see how your price compares.

Yes, it was around 1.4K below dealer invoice. I am planning to keep the vehicle 5 plus years. I have a dual sunroof in my current 14XLT but it cant even be compared to a bigger front sunroof screen I had in 2012 Edge sport.

I'm in the middle of working out a deal on a 2016 Sport with the 401A group and dual moonroof at my local Ford dealer-- The price will be right around 46k-47k..

What is the MSRP? any additional options?

This is the end of the year , you should be able to get huge discounts and a much better deal than $1400 off MSRP , MSRP is already marked up way high to begin with. So that they have wiggle room at the dealerships to negotiate..Just my pennys worth :thumbsup:
my mistake after re-reading this im not sure where i got the $1400 from

Hi. I just came back from dealership. I presented my TrueCar certificate and the salesperson / manager honored it. It is a 49K+ Ford Explorer Sport with 401A package and some other smaller packages. I got a $4,686 off MSRP so the selling price was 44K+, all fees included except for tax and registration. I declined Auto cruise control package as I want to control the acceleration and breaking manually. I also declined a sun roof as I am leasing 2014 XLT now and barely open it up, especially in the winter, spring times. I put down a deposit, $500 with credit card, as they did not have an Explorer to my specifications but will try to find it and if not, they will place an order for it and will still honor the discount. I test drove Explorer Sport and I really felt the difference in acceleration in 16 Sport and my currently leased Explorer XLT. What kind of deals are you guys getting for your 2016 Ford Explorer?

While it is totally personal preference I would be cautious to decline safety related packages like Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision warning with brake support. They work flawlessly in my experience and I wouldn't buy another vehicle without that feature package. The Collision Avoidance has saved me at least 2 times.

Same with 2nd Row Outboard Inflatable safety belts.

Like BlwnSmoke said you have to also consider the future trade in buyer of your vehicle. In a few years Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision warning with brake support will be standard features and you don't want to be the odd one out.

I agree with you on MoonRoof I never use it either but added it anyways for resale.

I agree 100% with Blwnsmoke and Sgt1411.

While it is totally personal preference I would be cautious to decline safety related packages like Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision warning with brake support. They work flawlessly in my experience and I wouldn't buy another vehicle without that feature package. The Collision Avoidance has saved me at least 2 times.

Same with 2nd Row Outboard Inflatable safety belts.

Like BlwnSmoke said you have to also consider the future trade in buyer of your vehicle. In a few years Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision warning with brake support will be standard features and you don't want to be the odd one out.

I agree with you on MoonRoof I never use it either but added it anyways for resale.

I have to say you made a great point with the Collision warning. I won't buy another vehicle without it as well. It works extremely well and has saved me several times too because of someone deciding to turn without signaling or an animal crossing and they slam on their brakes. Incredible safety feature!!

Also to the OP, another thing to remember is when you are buying a higher trim level vehicle, people generally expect it to be loaded and not skip on features. Again, just my opinion but I think it is very accurate. Although we don't use our moonroof a lot, I love the extra light that is let in through it and I think it makes the vehicle seem much bigger because it is more open to the outside.

I have to say you made a great point with the Collision warning. I won't buy another vehicle without it as well. It works extremely well and has saved me several times too because of someone deciding to turn without signaling or an animal crossing and they slam on their brakes. Incredible safety feature!!

Also to the OP, another thing to remember is when you are buying a higher trim level vehicle, people generally expect it to be loaded and not skip on features. Again, just my opinion but I think it is very accurate. Although we don't use our moonroof a lot, I love the extra light that is let in through it and I think it makes the vehicle seem much bigger because it is more open to the outside.

I was very disappointed when I visited Dana Ford and Lincoln in NY. They said that they were the largest East coast dealership and only had 7 Sport models and only two of them came with a 401A package which is a must for me as it includes a lot of things. I think only one, a silver color was pretty much loaded. I want a magnetic metallic. I thought that the color looks awesome. I was surprised that most of them did not come with a main 401A package.

I wonder how much off MSRP other people were able to get, either from a regular, Limited or Sport trims.

I wonder how much off MSRP other people were able to get, either from a regular, Limited or Sport trims.

MSRP for my sport was $46,900, I paid $40,300 after tax, title, and other BS fees.

I for one can care less for these extra "nanny" features.
I drive because I enjoy it and can do pretty much without all of the high tech gadgets...just more crap to break and after warranty no one is going to want to deal with the headache of paying for repair and replacement.

A colleague of minru just had his seat motor replaced on his Infinity and was out $3500.

I for one can care less for these extra "nanny" features.
I drive because I enjoy it and can do pretty much without all of the high tech gadgets...just more crap to break and after warranty no one is going to want to deal with the headache of paying for repair and replacement.

A colleague of minru just had his seat motor replaced on his Infinity and was out $3500.

While that's maybe true for many technical systems not directly integrated into the vehicles safety systems, its not true for ones that enhance the vehicles safety systems.

A human simply cant process information as fast as the vehicle can when it comes to Blind Spot Monitoring, Adaptive Cruise Control, or Collision Avoidance with Brake Support.

Collision Avoidance loads the brakes and slows the vehicle when a vehicle in front suddenly slows to turn without notice or stops suddenly. You cant do the same information processing in that same time frame.

To your point about out of warranty costs, yes that's true but nowadays an ESP is a must have if you keep past the 3 year warranty.

Dana is a rip off ... They were going to charge me much more for my sport.... But I did enjoy their test drive on the highway...

I have to say you made a great point with the Collision warning. I won't buy another vehicle without it as well. It works extremely well and has saved me several times too because of someone deciding to turn without signaling or an animal crossing and they slam on their brakes. Incredible safety feature!!...
+1. My other car has collision warning, and now I'll never have a car without it. So my new '16 EX Sport has it too.

In my experience, 8% off total MSRP is a good target, and it'll be hard to do any better than that. 6% to 7% off should be simple.

I don't know how you guys are getting such big discounts on the Sports. I don't think my dealer will come down below X-plan. I am pissed because there were $1000 in incentives off of X-plan and now there is only $500 off, but I need to buy this one that is coming in next week. It is the color and option package we want. Magnetic 401A with LED fogs and no moonroof. We don't want the moonroof and will keep it forever. I can't really deal with him because there are none around with this option mix that we want. How far should I be able to get them under X-plan? I think it is only $2700 off MSRP or something like that, plus the $500 off so it will be around $3200 off an MSRP of 48,895.

Forddealz, what is a Truecar Certificate?

Thanks.

I just looked at True Car. For my zip, it is only showing $3k under MSRP, and that includes the $500 rebate. I think this is exactly what X-plan is, which is also what they were doing last month for everyone with the Friends and Family. I can't believe the incentives were better back in June when we drove the 1st one to hit our dealer's lot. He would not budge on X-plan, so we said we'd wait for better incentives. Well, they are worse now. He ordered another one for us at that point and it showed up 2 days after a $750 incentive on top of the $500 expired. That one really upset me. I even called Ford and they said they could not extend it 2 days, so we passed on that one and he ordered another. At least this one has the LED Fogs, but I think we'll be stuck paying $50k out the door now and the first one would have been $45k. I can't go over $49,999.99! Wish me luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how you guys are getting such big discounts on the Sports. I don't think my dealer will come down below X-plan. I am pissed because there were $1000 in incentives off of X-plan and now there is only $500 off, but I need to buy this one that is coming in next week. It is the color and option package we want. Magnetic 401A with LED fogs and no moonroof. We don't want the moonroof and will keep it forever. I can't really deal with him because there are none around with this option mix that we want. How far should I be able to get them under X-plan? I think it is only $2700 off MSRP or something like that, plus the $500 off so it will be around $3200 off an MSRP of 48,895.

Forddealz, what is a Truecar Certificate?

Thanks.

X-Plane is generally the way to go. It usually works out to under $100 over invoice but the dealer can only charge you a set amount for paperwork/admin fees which generally is much higher when you don't do xplan. I believe it is $225 in fees allowed.. I've seen dealers charge as much as $495.

Nothing you can really do if rebates expire. Only time you can guarantee the rebate is if you order direct from the factory (not take one that is on order). If you order it from day 1, the dealer can lock in the rebates.

Back