What is in the M+S name? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is in the M+S name?

started discussing in the thread with @DintDobbs

im inclined to believe MS is to distinguish bias ply radial primarily, and there is no real test, etc going into it, like 3pmsf. i think its at this point just a granted all ties (ok except bias, but theyre so uncommon) are MS at this point, and MS has no major/noteworthy distinction. also pretty sure its up to the mfg to put the MS on it, just like with classifying tires (such as MT, AT, HT, AS, XT) as such, im claiming that its inaccurate to call an MS tire (that doesn't tposess a 3pmsf or have mud tire classification) as a good tire in mud or snow. ive heard MS tires called snow tires before when people ask me about them, they say "i have snow tires on it now" dude youre running the factory tire its an MS no way its a snow tire ok yes MS but not what id consider a winter tire, far from it. same with mud. jmo. if anyone has any knowledge on this, please chime in!!!!

Cross-posted from the mother thread:

"M/S, MS and M+S as far as I have ever seen or heard of refers to the terrain type. A quick web search turns up this result, as well. M/T means mud terrain, A/T means all terrain, HT means highway terrain. M/S is mud and snow. Most tires should include a description on the side, specifying whether they are radials, etc. as well as how many tread and sidewall plies are in its construction, and the materials that they are made of."

However, according to these articles @Fix4Dirt shared in the mother thread, the MS lettering does indeed refer to the tires' construction, rather than terrain rating.

I can 100% vouch for the fact that the manufacturers are not held to any particular standard when they slap letters on their tires! Tread pattern doesn't lie, and you should always check the sidewall plies and materials.

The BFG A/T's that the previous owner put on my Durango are terrible on all terrains. Who knows how they decide how to label a tire, but the cheap Primewell H/T's on my Limited are better on all terrains than those BFG's.

So, what are anybody else's thoughts and experiences with tires? Have you heard anything about the letters, terrain ratings, or other badges or symbols?

I am aware of the snowflake and mountain badges, but what about other symbols or badges? Any and all discussion is wanted.

I can 100% vouch for the fact that the manufacturers are not held to any particular standard when they slap letters on their tires! Tread pattern doesn't lie, and you should always check the sidewall plies and materials.

The BFG A/T's that the previous owner put on my Durango are terrible on all terrains. Who knows how they decide how to label a tire, but the cheap Primewell H/T's on my Limited are better on all terrains than those BFG's.

So, what are anybody else's thoughts and experiences with tires? Have you heard anything about the letters, terrain ratings, or other badges or symbols?

I am aware of the snowflake and mountain badges, but what about other symbols or badges? Any and all discussion is wanted.
definitely, seen some ones that should have a different classification by far!!!!!

If ya look towards the bottom in each, both my all terrain tires, the Goodrich up front and falkens in the rear say M+S on 'em,both re very much A/Ts, but they say it lol

20221230_140300.jpg 20220811_105303.jpg

All the MS is telling you is that it’s not a summer rated tire. It doesn’t mean it’s intended for mud or snow use, just that it’s one of the manufactures all season tires.

I’ve had several sets of TAKOs, and they’ve all been great in the snow. Lackluster in any real mud.

Back