What Is It With Dealers and Warranty Work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Is It With Dealers and Warranty Work

JAPeterson

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
OK, so today I took my 16 Explorer in for the Pivot Link Bolt recall and told them to check out the problem that I am having with the TPMS in one of the tires. When I rotate the tires and after resetting the tire location I have been having one sensor in on tire read from 5-8lbs low than what the actual tires PSI is. I have lived with it but with colder weather it has been setting the low tire pressure alarm on the dash.

Fast forward, the service writer brings me my Explorer and tells me that everything is fine, they reset all the TPMS's and that they found nothing wrong and that since they reset them I would need to drive it for the system to relearn what the pressures are. He also told me that they either work or they don't work. When I got in and started it up I noticed that the mechanic had played with the radio and had gone into the fuel economy readings on the dash, at least I knew that they were doing something. I toggled it back to the tire pressure screen and low and behold 3 tires read 37psi and one read 30psi, the one that I told them I had a problem with. So I just drove out and figuring that perhaps a drive would help it. 30 miles later 3 tries are reading 38-39psi and the one with the problem is still just reading 30psi.

I'm not even going to bother to take it back in but I am going to send the general manager a very nice email telling him what I think of his service department. My problem is that he is the closest one at 30 miles away with the next closest one at 70 or so. I'll just live with it until next spring when I can take it to another dealer in Denver where I purchased it at and cross my fingers, or if I start to have more alarms set I'll just take it to a tire dealer and have him take care of it.

Sorry for the venl.

You would probably get more resolution to the service department issue by calling Ford customer service. Also when you get the survey fill it out and mention the issue. Dealers are franchises and Ford can only know about a poor performing service department by direct customer feedback.

Back