what is my front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is my front end

o.k the question is....
i have 4.10 gears, and i know my explorer is 8.8 (i´m almos sure) so what is my front end..... dana ?????? how many splin???? could some one help me...
mine is a 2000 explorer sport ohv

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it's a D35 also, but it might be high-pinion or reverse rotation.

Forward rotational Dana 35

Originally posted by Jefe
I've heard it is a D35 reverse-cut (reverse rotation) :confused:
Pre 95 had reverse Dana 35's. 95+ has forward Dana 35's.

Do some more searching and you will find a very long thread about how our '95 and up front ends are a Sterling-Van-Dyke front end. It is definately not a common forward cut Dana 35. If anything it is a remodeled one. That is why everyone is haveing such a difficult time locating a traction adding device to the front end that will go in. Check with Gerald Jarret about the front end. He is getting ready to try out a new front end on his and seems to be one of the most knowledgeable here when it comes to the '95+ front end.

Robert is right. You do NOT have a Dana 35, even though several catalogs and even the Haynes manual mistakenly identify it as such. It is variously described as a Dana35 IFS, a Dana135, and mistakenly as a Dana35. It is a sort of hybrid Sterling-Dana35 model produced in Ford's Sterling VanDyke plant.

I have just order a Powertrax NoSlip unit that member go off road successfully installed in his 2001 Ranger, and Powertrax lists it as fitting a "Dana35IFS".

Both Ray Lobato (in California) and I (in Texas) tried to have limited slips and/or lockers installed over a year ago, but when the techs actually opened up our units, they learned that they were not Dana35's. I tried to have a TracLoc installed since their catalog lists a unit that will fit, but TracLoc was wrong. I forgot what Ray tried to have installed but it was also supposed to fit and it didn't either. There are about four companies that list an LSD or locker for our vehicles, but they are all wrong, with the possible exception of this new Powertrax that go off road has successfully installed. I will try installing mine sometime within the next month.

In case you wanted to know, here's what the inside of it looks like.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 525

Thanks Jason. What did you have to tear yours open for?

See, even the case is wrong. Doesn't a Dana35 have eight case bolts? In Jason's photo you can see that there's ten on ours.

That's one I bought with 4.10's cause I'm regearing soon.

I've heard it speculated that it's 35 internals with a dana 30 housing. Not sure how much truth there is to that though. I need to take a look at my friend's XJ to see.

VERY interesting! When I brought my truck to the shop to discuss changing the front diff, they crawled under the truck and to examined it and said it was a Dana35.

thank you guys for all the information,,,,,
i needed to know that because i´m planning on getting 4.56 gears for mine.....i have right now 4.10
so if i got it right i have a dana 35ISF front end??
i know the rear is 8.8 but do the spline matters 31 or 28????
the reason that i´m doing so much reserch is because i live in venezuela and i will have to buy the gear on the web, and i want to buy the right thing, if not it is very hard to change it..
thank you very much

Ricky-spline count doesn't matter when regearing. Also, make sure to get a high-quality gear set to make sure they are quiet. Try to get Ford Racing if you can afford it.

jason-25 do you know any web site where i can find a good set of gears.....
i was looking some at 4wheelparts.com, the are genuine gears, what do you think about those, but is hard to find the front one
thank you

Call 4 Wheel Parts on the phone and I'm sure they will be able to set you up with what you need. They have a pretty knowledgeable sales staff.

thank you guys i will keep you inform on what 4wheelparts tell me
thank you very much

Gerrald and Jason,
We were (or I was at least) talking about the gears only, and not the carrier/housing. I know the carrier and housing are not the same as a D35. As far as gears go, I'm almost positive it takes D35 gears. . .but whether they are regular or reverse-cut I don't know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front diff. on a 97-2001 is DANA Model 35, 27 spline, 10 bolt cover,IFS & ABS, non-reverce cut

Wade

Back