• Register Today It's free!

What is Non Limited slip??

Zippy5150

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Explorer ST XLT
What does Non Limited slip mean? Does it mean I have a posi rear? My axle code is 42 (Non Limited slip 4:10 D4) in a 04 ST. Is non limited slip perfered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It means technically you can hold one wheel still (zero RPM) while the other one spins away.

It means technically you can hold one wheel still (zero RPM) while the other one spins away.

Well that don't sound good. Why would they put that on a truck?

Well "non limited slip" is not really an option of the differential, its like the base model of base models, the vanilla of vanillas. You can only upgrade from "non limited slip", to a "limited slip", to a "lunchbox locker", and finally to a "selectable locker". And for others out there, I didnt mention a "welded differential" because its no longer a differential at that point.

...Having open carriers on both ends makes it easier to upgrade to lockers....

...I have the open diffs on my Ranger and it's a total blast to offroad in...:burnout:

Well that don't sound good. Why would they put that on a truck?
Because it keeps the cost down and not everyone needs it. If you DO have one and drive on snow and ice it takes a bit different technique. A open diff will spin one tire but that will leave the other to help track the vehicle. A L/S may cause both wheels to break traction on snow so you've got to be able to correct it with the throttle and steering. I'd rather have power going to both wheels and drive it right, of course my '08 has traction control and no L/S. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I think I now understand "Non Limited Slip".

Back