• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What is Non Limited slip??

Zippy5150

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Explorer ST XLT
What does Non Limited slip mean? Does it mean I have a posi rear? My axle code is 42 (Non Limited slip 4:10 D4) in a 04 ST. Is non limited slip perfered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
It means technically you can hold one wheel still (zero RPM) while the other one spins away.

Zippy5150

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Explorer ST XLT
It means technically you can hold one wheel still (zero RPM) while the other one spins away.

Well that don't sound good. Why would they put that on a truck?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Well "non limited slip" is not really an option of the differential, its like the base model of base models, the vanilla of vanillas. You can only upgrade from "non limited slip", to a "limited slip", to a "lunchbox locker", and finally to a "selectable locker". And for others out there, I didnt mention a "welded differential" because its no longer a differential at that point.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Having open carriers on both ends makes it easier to upgrade to lockers....

...I have the open diffs on my Ranger and it's a total blast to offroad in...:burnout:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac
Well that don't sound good. Why would they put that on a truck?
Because it keeps the cost down and not everyone needs it. If you DO have one and drive on snow and ice it takes a bit different technique. A open diff will spin one tire but that will leave the other to help track the vehicle. A L/S may cause both wheels to break traction on snow so you've got to be able to correct it with the throttle and steering. I'd rather have power going to both wheels and drive it right, of course my '08 has traction control and no L/S. :rolleyes:

Zippy5150

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Explorer ST XLT
Thanks everyone. I think I now understand "Non Limited Slip".