What is the Best Single Subwoofer For My Amp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the Best Single Subwoofer For My Amp?

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
i need a sub that can handle 380 rms and 800 Peak

i only want one sub, and probably a 12 or 15.]
im bridging my 2 channel amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i want a single voice coil i think,as i want it bridged for more rms, and it has to be 4 ohms

i am not sure if there is anyway to hook them dvcs on one + and one - to 4 ohms or not

how much you looking to spend on a sub ?

im thinking about getting rid of my Kenwood 12's,and going with a single 10, with a mono amp...

considering a MTX-T8510-04...

my buddy has one in his F150 crew cab, and he's running 350w RMS in a ported box. it shakes the sh%t out of his truck, and sadley putsmy 2 12's to shame...

so im having a change of heart on a full Kenwood setup...

I LOVE my JL!! I have it bridged at 4ohm with 300 watts going to it. Thumps pretty good. I had a Kicker and blew it out after 2 weeks. Never had an issue with the JL>

what JL you running fella ? ^^^^^^^^

what JL you running fella ? ^^^^^^^^

I have no Idea which particular model. Its been a few years since I put it in. I know I paid like $159 for it. I could go take it out of the box tomorrow and look at the back.

Caldwell, does that come in a 12? Or where I can get a cheap box made for it?

Well with a DVC you can wire it a few different ways, if you get dual 4 ohm coils you can wire it down so the amp would see 2 ohms, or you coudl get dual 2 ohms and wire it for a 4 ohm load, plenty of options if you plan it right. Just look on a few sites for wiring diagrams and youll see what you can do.

i want a single voice coil i think,as i want it bridged for more rms, and it has to be 4 ohms

i am not sure if there is anyway to hook them dvcs on one + and one - to 4 ohms or not

If you get a Dual 2-Ohm woofer and wire it correctly, it will force the amp to play in a 4-Ohm load.

Or, if the amplifier is two channel, you can get a Dual 4-Ohm woofer and wire one coil to each of the terminals.

The below diagrams should cover it...
NOTE: YOU MUST ALWAYS DROP AN OHM RATING WHEN GOING FROM STEREO TO BRIDGED.

Dual 2-Ohm voice coils in a 4-Ohm Load
spk1dvcs.gif

Dual 4-Ohm voice coils in a 4-Ohm Load
spk1dvcn.gif

as mad as everyone will be for saying this but that is the power rating for a single sony. i run 2 sony 12" and it is equally as loud as my cousing dual alpine r 12s

what are you running and what is your cousin running? and what type of vehicles?

have you termlabbed either of them??

go to www.the12volt.com for wiring diagrams, you can run dual voice coil subs to 4 ohm just depends on how many ohms each voice coil is.
i have run many kinds of subs, from competition subs to alpines and kickers.
Personally im running 1 single 12`` Hertz sub on 800rms in my own custom ported box tuned to 28 hurtz all my gains are really low and i love it.

as mad as everyone will be for saying this but that is the power rating for a single sony. i run 2 sony 12" and it is equally as loud as my cousing dual alpine r 12s

To go along with BlackSheep...
SPL is a matter of a multitude of things...
Box Size, Box Layout, Box Type, Speaker Placement, Vehicle Acoustics, and many other things constitute "loudness".

And, what if this enclosure is destined for an SQ application? LOUDNESS is a definition given by the individual listening, not an established baseline that can be measured.
I personally think my truck isn't "LOUD" enough, but my wife can't stand it if I even have the subwoofer turned on.

Now... Can two 12" Sony Subwoofers sound Louder than and reach higher SPL ratings than two 12" Alpines... SURE! But, it all depends on the applications. I just recenetly built a Dual 12" Sony enclosure that was 4th order bandpass with 165 watts to each woofer. And, I can say, that thing got LOW. I mean, REALLY LOW. But, it was in a little Passat. Take that same box and put it in an Excursion, and you probably wouldn't get the same effect due to the internal vehicle volume variance.

End all statement...
Don't jump in a thread with a simple statement that doesn't really continue or solve the topic.

i need a sub that can handle 380 rms and 800 Peak

i only want one sub, and probably a 12 or 15.]
im bridging my 2 channel amp

Don't worry about the peak at all.
Look at the RMS straight up...

Now, a few good selections can include...
I personally have always liked Kicker products, but I have no experience with their shallow mount stuff (I think shallow mount is a new HYPE/ADVERTISING thing for car audio, but that is another story...). And, MTX is a Classic Brand Name that has been around since the beginning of time. Sony makes good entry level products. So, this should give you some rumble.

All of those woofers are right where you would want them to be RMS wise, so, those are few good options to choose.

BTW, what AMP are you planning on running?

thanks for all the help, i am running a pioneer 760 watt amp, i am leaning towards the mtx jack hammer actually it seems to have good reviews

So, that is a two channel with....
95 Watts x 2 at 4 ohms
190 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
380 watts x 1 at 4 ohms (bridged)

Am I right?
If so, you could get two 12" RE Audio woofers. They are really good, and can handle a pretty decent beating. I have liked RE audio too, but I didn't really do enough research before I jumped in two-footed for my Solobaric.

RE Audio REX12 12" Dual 4 ohm Car Subwoofer -- http://bit.ly/bVqY1f

Two 12" of these in decent box brushing right up to their RMS would give you a nice clean and loud sound.

how exactly would i wire them in to get them to 2 ohms? and running 2 subs not 1?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can wire 4 ohm voice coils in parallel.
The below diagram shows two woofers that are dual four ohm voice coils wired at 2ohms per channel.

spk2dvc4.gif

Essentially, you are combining the coils, causing the Ohm rating to 1/2 itself.

Back