What is the best Transmission Fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the best Transmission Fluid?

milladog

Reaction score
City, State
Alpena Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLS 4x4
I have a 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 liter. It has 95,000 on original drive train fluids. Just got synthetic 75-140 for the rear diff, what do you guys recommend for the front diff and transmission? Please help a guy out. I want it to last. Truck runs and drives excellent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just want to see what people say, the more the better. Then i will make my move on the fluid. And i am sure others will also. Thanks for your fast reply..:usa:

For automatic transmission fluid, I'm not sure paying top dollar really matters as much as it would for regular oil such as for your engine.

But if you want my opinion, I think that amsoil mercron V automatic transmission fluid would probably be the best. However I don't think the more expensive fluid justifies the cost as I like to flush my transmission frequently.

I would just stick with motorcraft transmission type V fluid.

As far as transmission longevity is concerned, no fluid is really going to make your transmission last longer over another fluid. There is only so much a fluid can do. THe best way to make your transmission last is to reduce the heat with transmission coolers and frequent flushes.

Amsoil ATF is kickass.

how often is a recomended flush supposed to be done ???

im at 66,000ish right now, and idk if it has ever been changed ???

i just had my oil + spark plugs changed last week, but with taxes coming in about a week, i want to get all fluids changed in my baby... lol

Amsoil ATF is the best choice.

I have been using all Amsoil lubricants throughout the drivetrain. When I made the switch ATF, differential lube, transfer case and engine oil, I recorded a 2.7MPG gain

--Joe

thanks, looks like amsoil is the way to roll

i have been told that if you go 100,000 miles without flushing the trans; you shouldnt because the fluid could be the only thing holding the plates in place.
you could wash the friction material off (which is really just a thin paper) by flushing.

just a thought

Back