What is the biggest lift I can put on a1993 ex without doing an axel swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the biggest lift I can put on a1993 ex without doing an axel swap

Mr. Souc

Reaction score
City, State
Canterbury CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
93- XLT-4x4
I want to get a big lift but dont want to go with a straight front axel. What is the biggest lift I can put on with out changing it. Im looking for mostly bolt on and some minor trimming (like drilling holes or cutting old brackets).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, someone is going to come along and tell you to use the search function or even to look at posts under the suspension category so it might as well be me(search).lol. O.K now that that's over with superlift http://www.superlift.com makes a 5.5" lift for our years ex that more or less is a bolt on, and I believe that james duff http://www.jamesduff.com/ is working on or has a 5" for these also. I believe if you want more than that you will need to have it fabricated.
Glen :thumbsup:

thank you very much. axel swap is a pain in the ass, I helped a freind put one on his 95 and we were cuttin stuff all over the place. But he now has leaf springs in the front.

Skyjacker has a 6", and you can also throw on a body lift.

can't u use the 8" ranger lift from skyjacker? then ofcourse add a body lift and u got 11" right there.

Axle swap is not as dependent on lift. It is dependent on tire size and off-road conditions. Anything larger than 35-inch tire should consider a solid axle swap. Frequent rock crawling is best suited to a solid front axle.

u can do the 3 inch body, 5.5 suspension and put aal or shackles in the rear and use 8 inch coils for the front.

8 inch

I have a 93 x with 8 inch ranger lift tweeked to 9 .5 and a 4 inch trail master body lift 5.13s and 38.5 tires on 12 inch wide wheels.i did have to use the super runner steering.but i love it its the best driving lifted ford i have built to date and i have built several.hope that helps.

jovi said:
I have a 93 x with 8 inch ranger lift tweeked to 9 .5 and a 4 inch trail master body lift 5.13s and 38.5 tires on 12 inch wide wheels.i did have to use the super runner steering.but i love it its the best driving lifted ford i have built to date and i have built several.hope that helps.
what lift did you use and how did you get it to work?

I used a skyjacker kit front brackets and coils and radius arm drops.there is quite a few little things you need to do to make it work but very easy.if you are interested pm me and give me your # and i will call you.it is easier to tell you how i did it.This explorer has been drove for over 40,000 miles since the lift and only one set of wheele bearings and those were my fault( too lose)but let me know.keith

Drive shaft and gearing

I think Im gunna stick with the 6" for the explorer. But would I need to change the drive shaft to replace the stock one, I would imagine the distance from the transmission to rear end would be greater. And would I have to change the gear ratios of the transmission when I regear the front and rear diffys.

from what ive read the stock driveshaft will work with a 6 inch suspension

You probably won't have to extend your rear driveshaft,on a 6 in most times you don't.But ford is like all what works on six explorers might not on the 7th.In the rear just do a spring over and shackels that way the ride will be good.And no you dont have to change transmission gear if you regear the diffs.

Thanks alot I was worried about the tranny having different acceleration with the 4:56 gears. Would I have to extend the front driveshaft? Would regular leaf springs be sufficient for the rear with the shocks. Im gunna probly do coil over shocks in the front instead of independant shock and coil setup. But Im glad to hear I atleast dont have to extend the back driveshaft but Ill have to wait and see when the installation comes up.

On mine i had to extend the rear 3in and the front was fine. what size tires do you want to run?i would recomend 5.13 gears.i have them and mine has the perfect ratio now (with 38.5 it comes out to be 4.10) i installed a 4.10 speedo gear and it checks out to be right on at the local speedo shop.

3" lift

Today I just put a 3 inch lift on. It's looks great. Lots higher than the stock explorer. I decided to put it on when I broke the factory shackle for the rear mount on the leaf spring. The lift was cheaper than putting the factory shackles back on as I only paid around $40.00 for it. Not bad huh? anyways it will be 3" for a while until I can get a separate truck to do my 6" lift which knowing my luck will be around $1200.00. Anyways I have a separate site not listed on this one where I will include pictures.

u can do the 3 inch body, 5.5 suspension and put aal or shackles in the rear and use 8 inch coils for the front.

ok how in the hell do you get the camber to work this way?

If you do need to extend the rear driveline with a 6" lift (as I did mine). Just use a longbox Ranger driveline. It fits perfect with a SOA lift in the rear. I have 80,000 miles on mine and zero problems as of yet.

Now thats a great tip! Thanks, I hope many see that post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back