What is the correct name and I need a source | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the correct name and I need a source

Louis 85936

Reaction score
City, State
St Johns, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaineer, 92 EB
The bolt in cross member that the radius arms attach to. Mine has rusted out where the left radius arm and bushings attach. The radius arm bangs around and I get some random pulling. Mine is a 92 Explorer Eddie Bower 4x4 that spent too many years in Ohio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radius Arm Brackets. You can get left and right hand side brackets individually from rockauto.com for $35-45 each. If you ever make it to the phoenix valley area I may have an extra set from when I did my lift.

I am parting out the rest of my lift donor vehicle if you need any extra parts (spare motor?).

He needs the crossmember the RA's attached to. Your going to have to find a parts truck to take one from. I haven't seen those for sale as separate parts in a long time.

Those should be it. If they are truly available I'm not sure. Not sure how strong they are either.
If they are available that's great! When I needed it I couldn't find them. Wound up drilling out the rivets at a u pull it & taking them from a used ranger.

Those are exactly it. They come in left and right hand sections that bolt together in the middle. They are called Radius Arm Brackets. I have personally purchased a set of these off of RockAuto.com for one of my family's stock 93 X, and they are of equal or greater quality than the original ford piece.

Turns out I do in fact have both sides from when I put a lift on my DD. The left side is fine but the right side is fairly worn. Both sides have grinder marks from grinding the rivets off. You can have both for free if you ever make it down to the phoenix valley.

Left
Hyy0Dbzh.png

Right
FBKp95eh.png

That right side one is junk. That is not safe to put back in a vehicle. That blown out hole is what locates the bushing, and takes a lot of the force from the beams/suspension. I wouldn't waste my time with a used one. Even if the hole is only slightly egged out, it will be impossible for it to hold an alignment, and it will steer like crap.

A new one is cheap, and it comes with new bolts as well. I've had the Dorman ones on my truck for a few years now, when I installed new poly urethane bushings. They work just fine. Just make sure you get all the bolts really tight (and use lock-tight), since you no longer have rivets in there. You don't want that bracket loosening up and moving. I even ended up putting a couple tack welds on mine.

That right side one is junk. That is not safe to put back in a vehicle. That blown out hole is what locates the bushing, and takes a lot of the force from the beams/suspension. I wouldn't waste my time with a used one. Even if the hole is only slightly egged out, it will be impossible for it to hold an alignment, and it will steer like crap.

As he stated in his original post, he needs the left side. I have a perfectly good left side piece with little to no rust that I am offering for free, and including the bad right side because I do not need or want it. Some people cannot afford new parts even when they NEED them, which is why my offer still stands (not trying to say anything about your finances Louis, just making a point).

Thank you for getting me out of "Nomen's Land". Once I knew what I was looking for, I found it on Rockautoparts.com and on Advanceautoparts.com. Advance had a coupon that put my cost for both radius arm brackets and a set of Moog bushings at $115 including shipping. Now it is time to read the posts on performing the job.

Back