What is the differance 95 & 96 and the 97+ front diffs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the differance 95 & 96 and the 97+ front diffs

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I have always wondered what the difference is between the front diffs in the 95 & 96 Explorer and the 97+ Explorer. Is the 97+ not have the vacuum actuation that the 95 & 96 have??

Thanks for the info

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it it is how the control trac operates. So the 97+ diffs are like a standard 4x4 system. IE engage transfer case, 4x4 active.

Tim

I take it it is how the control trac operates. So the 97+ diffs are like a standard 4x4 system. IE engage transfer case, 4x4 active.

Tim
Not exactly. In the 97-up models, all components of the drivetrain are always rotating. The front axle shafts are splined into the hubs, so they are permanantly engaged. The transfer case is always engaged to some degree by a clutch system. When in "Auto" mode, the clutches determine the degree of engagement via. feedback from the sensors. When you drop it into 4high, it's then locked into 4wd like a conventional case.

Ditto... 95-96 uses the center axle disconnects to break the front passenger side axle shaft when the vehicle is in 2wd mode (they had 2wd, 4auto, and 4low). The 97-01s swapped the vacuum-actuated CAD in favor of a live axle and the system foregoes the 2wd mode in lieu of full time automatic 4wd, selectable 4high and 4low.

-Joe

Will a 1995 transfer case work on a 1997 truck? Both are 4405.

use the search button and you'll find answers like this one and many more throughout this site. I believe it is compatible though I'm not %100. I dunno if they came in different spline counts or anything...

Not exactly... It'll physically bolt-up, but the front output shafts are completely different setups. The 95-96 uses a U-joint yoke splined to the front output shaft, while the 97-up uses a CV joint drive flange. I don't believe that the two are interchangable.

Also, there may be a difference with the speed sensors, but I'm not 100% sure about that.... now that I think about it, that change may not have occurred until the 98 model year.

All 44-05s are not the same... Based on my (very limited) knowledge, and from what I've learned on here, the 97 model year's t-case is a pain to find because it's not easily interchangable with the other years of the second-gen. The 95-96 uses the wrong drive flange, and the 98-up lacks the rear output shaft speed sensor.

Hope that helps...

I don't see why not... But again, I can't say for sure... Double-check the pinout of the two connectors before you plug them in... they may or may not be wired the same, but AFAIK, functionally, they will bolt up in place of each other.

-Joe

If you have a choice and are looking for reliability. Use a Manual BW 1354. You won't be disappointed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Will there be any modifications with the 1354? and how would I shift it ?
My truck has a :
a0571 4405-08
206143 f77a-ga

will this fit:
8ca
44-05-000-010
FA7A-74195-CA\

Thanks all for the help.

Oh and sorry if this is not the right place for my questions. Maybe I should of started a new thread.

Basically, you'd get a manual-shift 13-54, and cut a hole in the floor. Then, getting the Control Trac system to NOT flash the lights would be almost impossible without excising the electrical demons it creates.

There are plenty of threads covering the conversion. Search, and ye shall find.

Back