What is the little black box under the rear view mirror?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the little black box under the rear view mirror??

I think you're right. no sensor on the back of the mirror, I think its on the dash... I'll check the service manual if I think of it tomorrow and report back.

There are 2 little LED looking things on the face of the mirror near the power button. Is one of them a sensor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked in the service manual again, it does not say exactly where the sensors are. Just that there are forward and rear photoelectric sensors that work in the way I described above.

The 2 LED looking things on the mirror itself ... the Green one tells you if power is on for automatic dimming. The other one on the right is clear and I believe is the sensor facing the rear.

One of those sensors is used to activate the auto headlights if you have them.

That's deff on the dash - near or in your Pats LED. Throw a glove or piece of cardboard over it and your light will come on.

In my '03 Escape the sensor was in the mirror.

I looked in the service manual again, it does not say exactly where the sensors are. Just that there are forward and rear photoelectric sensors that work in the way I described above.

The 2 LED looking things on the mirror itself ... the Green one tells you if power is on for automatic dimming. The other one on the right is clear and I believe is the sensor facing the rear.
I have one led on my 05 does it always stay on lately my battery wont stay charged would that drain my battery slowly

Back