What is the pin out for the giant plug under the console? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the pin out for the giant plug under the console?

Desert_AIP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4WD
Tried searching, no luck.

I have a 1998 Explorer XLT with the CD changer and rear radio and AC controls.

I need to bridge the rear speaker wires so i can remove the rear radio and AC controls.
I know they go through that giant plug with the 10mm bolt just under the AC controls in the dash at the front of the long console.

I don't know what that plug is called and can't find a schematic for it.

Any help?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you.
I think can find the right wires now.
I saw the negatives and bridged them.
But didn't know what wires to bridge for the positives.
No wonder I wasn't having any luck.

Weird how one of them is on the large blade connector and the other is just on one of the smaller pins.
The inputs and negative outputs are placed logically and symmetrically in that plug.
The positive outputs don't follow any logic.

Is there a graphic anywhere of the wiring itself?

Not that I have found. I guess before you remove the console you can trace the wires to what they control. The only one I think I remember is the 12v source for the 12v outlet down by the passengers feet is grey and pink I believe.

Not that I have found. I guess before you remove the console you can trace the wires to what they control. The only one I think I remember is the 12v source for the 12v outlet down by the passengers feet is grey and pink I believe.

I already removed the rear controls and cut the cable because I didn't know the wiring circled back out of the console. :(

I can actually SEE the wires to the power outlet. :)
They are also 12ga since it's a 20A circuit.

There's another 12ga wire next to them, the other large spade connector. I'm not sure what that goes to. I didn't trace it.
The ground on the power outlet is shared, so that other high amp wire might be the rear blower motor.

I eventually want to find the wires on the back side of the plug and splice them there to get that big ass plug out from under there. I don't believe they are the same color on the other side of the plug (coming from the dash) if I remember correctly. I didn't even know my back speakers weren't working for about a month after I took the console out lol

Correct.
The negative poles of the rear speakers are the same color wires going down and travelling back up and eventually to the rear speakers
The positives come out of the radio and enter that plug in one color combo, and come back out and go to the rear speakers another.
I concluded that's because of the headphone jacks in the rear and the need to disable the rear speakers at that panel.

I'm surprised @J_C hasn't replied with wiring diagrams

Wiring diagrams aren't so great to know where the wires are routed, but you can see the same ones I can by getting them from the link in my sig below. There's 5 different ones depending on which radio setup you have, maybe more including all '95 through '01 model years, so if I post the wrong one and lead someone on a wild goose chase... That's no good.

Thank You J_C!

Basic audio - high series console - perfect

Back