what is the stock sub in a 93 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is the stock sub in a 93 explorer?

bobbysox

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer
I bought a new subwoofer for my 93 ford explorer, and after I installed it, it works but amp keeps shutting down and starting up. I realize that I probably installed a sub with a different omhmage. the original sub has no info on it. does anyone know what the stock sub is? I put a resister in series to the sub and it fixes the problem, but the resister gets pretty hot. if any one out there has replaced a sub in a 93 explorer, please let me know what sub you bought. thank's bob.:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What he Said ^^^^

Stock is 6 ohm. A 4 ohm speaker will draw too much current and overheat the amp.

The best bet is to change the amp. Small amps are cheap nowadays...

The next best is to put in an 8 ohm sub BUT it won't be as loud as the 6 ohm. That is assuming the 8 ohm isn't some really efficient speaker (high db/watt)

The resistor will work BUT it is just increase the "impedance" (not ohmage :), but I have used that term before too) so the Amp doesn't over heat. Of course the resistor is also converting power into heat instead of sound.

~Mark

thank's for the good info. the sub I bought is a kicker 4 ohm. i'll try a 8ohm. it was really hard to find a sub small enough to fit the explorer. anyone know were I can get one to fit? thank's bob. the ones in the junkyards are just that. junk.

Best place to shop for a 6.5" sub is online. Amazon has a few, so do some of the car audio sites like sonic electronix and crutchfield. You can find bottom-of-the-barrel stuff for $10-25 that should do fine, and actually work better than the factory woofer. There are also $100-300 6.5" subs as well, but those would be overkill for use with a factory amp.

You can fit an 8" with some cutting. There's a thread on it in the audio section somewhere.

Thank's again for exellent info. I will try the sites you recomended. And thank's for telling me the size 6.5 i threw away old sub and had forgot the size. I do remember that size was hard to find. I don't want to do the bigger one if i don't have to. My 93 explorer limited 4 wheeler is in super exellent cond. And i'd like to keep it stock as i can. Bob

Back