What is the torque spec for rocker arms on a 4L? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the torque spec for rocker arms on a 4L?

Twilightcall

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Explorer Limited
What is the torque spec for the rod that holds the rocker arms on the head. (3 bolts) My manual says # ft/lbs but then turn 90 deg. Does anyone have what that translates into in ft/lbs total rather than angle. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

90% is about 1/8 turn or so, its not much.

Thanks.
Do you guys buy your rocker arms at Auto Zone or Pep Boys?

90 degrees is 1/4th of 360 degrees (full turn) which means 90 degrees is 1/4 turn.

~Mark

I'm having the same prob as Twilightcall. My Haynes manual says 241 ft.lbs plus a quarter turn. After I broke a bolt I double checked the spec. That sure seems to be a bit much. Anybody got better specs?

My book says the Rocker Arm shaft/stand bolts should be torqued to 46-52 ftlbs. and says nothing about an extra turn.

Only the head bolts show the extra turn... (60 ft-lbs on all, then turn an extra 80-85 degrees)

I just did the heads not too long ago which meant taking off the rocker assembly and I used the above numbers and all went well..

~Mark

Back