• Register Today It's free!

What is this bolt?

cmj141

Reaction score
City, State
Scranton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
So I was told to fill my differential fluid and the Haynes book pics doesnt show a 2nd gen diagram of underneath the truck so therefore I found two locations of what I think is the bolt for filling the differential. The two locations are basically the same area but on different sides. Can someone tell me what this rusted Bolt is for located in the black hexagon? Is that the bolt for the differential fluid? Or is it the one in the second pic ? Note it requires some kind of square wrench to be loosened.

Moderators if you can, please resize the pic. I apologize for the large size for I have no idea how to resize it. :-/ thx.

2012-09-07%2015.06.23.jpg

2012-09-02%2017.11.17.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

right behind the drivers side cv axle in the front, is the diff plug, to fill it,,

008-2.jpg

Ok so the bolt in my second pic is the diff one just as I thought. What kind if wrench takes that off? My 1/4 socket wrench nub is too big to fit into that square hole (thought It was worth a shot)

Also, what the heck is that bolt in the polygon do/for? Anyone?

right behind the drivers side cv axle in the front, is the diff plug, to fill it,,

008-2.jpg

The fill plug has a 3/8" square hole. Just use a long 3/8" ratchet extension. The true PITA is getting a hose with the fluid in to the fill hole itself. All those gear oil bottles with the long nose are totally worthless. Need a couple feet of flexible tubing and a lot of patience.

To fill the rearend use a turkey baster with small hose !

Look around the auto parts stores and you can find a pump kit that screws on the top of a gallon oil jug (and some diff oil bottles) in place of the cap. Then just pump away - works like a charm. Then clean it out when you are done and you can use it for different applications - diffs, xfer cases, etc - that might use different weight lubricants. Can even use it for pumping in transmission fluid.

I have a pump that I got from Harbor Freight that has a hose on each end. I try fitting the 3/8" ratchet into it but the ratchet was slightly bigger. I guess it must be from all the rust. I guess I'll have to hammer it in. As you can see its rusted pretty good.

So no one knows what the bolt in the polygon surrounding is.? It's on the other side of the differential case. Looks like it might have something to do with steering. My friend said something about a rack and pinion or something of that sort ?

Back