What is this called? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

  • Register Today It's free!

What is this called?


November 13, 2012
Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I was wondering what this piece is called and also where could I get one. Its the thing that your hood rests on when closed and I cant seem to find it on any website, but the truth is, I don't know the correct name for it lol. My Ex only had one on it when I bought it , and the hood sits just a looked crooked. I would really like to find one for the other side to level my hood out, but I hope i don't have to pay a dealership price for one. Any help would be greatly appreciated....and I cant seem to figure out how to put a picture on here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you looked into buying one from the junkyard? That might be your best bet!

there are lots of names for it.. if you call a ford garage just tell them you need the rubber bumper for the hood. i have a new one in a bag somewhere, ill try to get the pn

I lost those on our X years ago. I got tires of watching the hood rock going down the road (and the noise it made) so I found something to replace it with.

The "Help" section of the auto parts store should have upper control arm bumpstops which has a threaded bolt on it.
The one I'm using is Dorman p/n RNB-31053 (I think thats the dorman number)

I just put them on, then trimmed them down so they were the right height and viola.. new hood bumper/stop/thingamajiger.

Here is a pic I stole from the 'net that is what I'm using.



Thank you guys so much! Just ordered it, and cant wait to fix the crooked hood!