What is this damn squeek? :(

UKExploder

Reaction score
City, State
near Liverpool,in the Wirral {England}
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited, US spec.
Hi all,
When I start up my X it makes this squeeking noise from the front of the engine that seems to be around the idler pulley on the right side, can any1 give me an idea what this is, should I worry about it &/or how to fix it? After 5-10 minutes it quits till the engine is really cold again.....like hours later...Help please, I'm confused :confused: Thanks for any suggestions. :)

:exp: :exp: :exp: :exp: :exp: :exp:
'94 Limited Edition, 4.0Litre, automatic
{Canadian made to US specs} bone stock

Likely is your Idler Pulley. A cheap and easy fix. There are a number of good posts.

I would suggest you do it sooner than later. Mine squeeked for about 10 min then nothing for 200 miles. Then without further warning, while I was driving the bearings seized, spun the retaining bolt off and the pulley and bolt fell to the road. I lost power steering, power brakes etc. Others report si milar incidents.

Bolt is a dealer only part and only comes with the pulley at 2 1/2 times the price as auto store pulley. I got lucky and found mine when I went back to look.

I'm have the same type of squeak and it drives me crazy. I was thinking it might be the water pump or worse a bad bearing in the engine.
My belt tensioner was replaced about 2 yrs ago but i'll have to listen to it closer next time. I'll change the belt while i'm at it, it's due to be replaced anyways

Back