What is this ? Found it in the engine compartment near the fans... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this ? Found it in the engine compartment near the fans...

Daheim111

Reaction score
City, State
Germany / Thüringen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
What is this ? Found it in the engine compartment near the fans...a round connector about 20 mm thick...

May be a motor warm up ? Like DEFA warm up ?

On a label I can read: 120 Volt and 10 Amp and 1200 Watt...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Link doesn't work.

Cannot see anything.

What is this ? Found it in the engine compartment near the fans...a round connector about 20 mm thick...

May be a motor warm up ? Like DEFA warm up ?

On a label I can read: 120 Volt and 10 Amp and 1200 Watt...
Despite there not being any picture that I can see I'm going to guess it may be a plug for the block heater??

Peter

PB220269a.jpg

Yes it is a factory Engine block heater. Only really needed when the temp dips below zero for few days. I used mine last year but not this year. It works well. Melted the snow off my hood and engine had heat quickly. Warning is it uses a lot of juice and you will see it on the bill. Also Mice like warm places to nest and will build a nest in a couple hours. Somehow they sense the heat.

Yes it is a factory Engine block heater. Only really needed when the temp dips below zero for few days. I used mine last year but not this year. It works well. Melted the snow off my hood and engine had heat quickly. Warning is it uses a lot of juice and you will see it on the bill. Also Mice like warm places to nest and will build a nest in a couple hours. Somehow they sense the heat.
It is best to use a timer when using a block heated so that it only comes on a couple hours before needing to start up. Anything beyond that is usually a waste of power.
My 2011 had a block heater and although Winter temps here can frequently drop below 0 F I never used it. Probably haven't used one in close to 30 years.

Peter

I know this is an old thread but wouldn't the heater help with the issue of a cold start being hard on the engine components? I see so much about how hard that is on an engine. New member. Been reading a lot on hete. Just thinking out loud.

I know this is an old thread but wouldn't the heater help with the issue of a cold start being hard on the engine components? I see so much about how hard that is on an engine. New member. Been reading a lot on hete. Just thinking out loud.
Starting a warm engine is better than a very cold one. This being said, I think with advancements in engine oil technology this is not that big of an issue these days. Today's synthetic oils flow much better at colds temperatures than conventional oil did decades ago. This means oil gets pumped throughout the engine much faster and this keeps wear to a minimum.

More of a diesel engine issue vs gasoline when starting a cold engine. Anything below freezing its best to have a diesel plugged in. Some of the newer can go a bit colder and still start ok but it's best to use the heater. On gasoline I'd consider using it on any temps below -10* F but not mandatory. If you want instant heat without idle time a block heater is nice addition in any cold weather.

I’ve used a block heater for years on my first Explorer, and now my Kia. Never had a pest, or any other issue. Typically 2-3 hours makes a very noticeable difference in engine warm up time.

Back