What is this line for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this line for?

elwood2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I've removed my glove box and started disassembling everything to remove my dash to try and troubleshoot the reason why my AC is not blowing cold enough air and i found this busted line that goes to this canister, which i assume is a vacuum line.

This is on a 91 ranger. Any ideas?

that is a vucuum line that goes to the vacuum motor(you called it a canister) and the motor controls one of the doors in your heater/ac plenum.....either mode or temp blend.....that very well may be your problem

Well, i think i figured it out. I put some electrical tape on it and started my truck and moved the mode switch from PANEL to MAX AC and it started drawing a vacuum. So i assume that it operates the internal/external air blend door.

Now, at the lowest, i was getting around mid to upper 50's before. I wonder how much lower my air temp will drop with MAX AC actually re-circulating the cabin air?

If that fixes my temps then i need to figure out why my air flow is sub-par from all the vents. I think there's some mouse nest debris in my vents. Which would make sense since this vacuum line was actually CHEWED.

EDIT: I actually can't test the temperature difference right now because i had my AC system evacuated to check the orifice tube for blockage and i need to add a condenser fan before i get it charged up again and start using it.

Back